Chapter 14-Are You Crying?

Chapter 14
KATANA'S POV:

"Tana, honey, why are you making so many sandwiches?" My dad asked, coming into the kitchen where I was making a whole bunch of food for lunch.

"You know the stuff I had you take me to buy yesterday? For the treehouse?" I asked, not looking up from my task.

"Yes."

"Well, I met a couple guys that want to help me with it. And since today's Saturday and they don't have school, I told them that they could help today. They'll be coming around 10." I explained, putting the finishing touches on the final roast beef sandwich.

"If they're coming at ten, why are you making food now?" he asked, still not getting it.

"If I'm working on the treehouse with them, I won't have time to make food later. I have to make it now so that when we get hungry, all we have to do is come and get them."

"Oh. Okay. What are these girls' names?"

"Dad, they're guys, not girls. Their names are Justin and Matt."

His eyebrows shot almost off his head. "Boys?"

"Yes, dad." I said, rolling my eyes. "Don't go all 'Overprotective Dad' on me here. We're just doing some construction work here."

"You need supervision, Tana." he said sternly.

"No, I don't!" I protested, "I stayed overnight at the Camdens' house and they have three boys."

I would have gladly welcomed supervision on that night, though. I thought. That way, nothing would have happened with Kylar and I'd still have my hopeless little crush on him that would wear off within a month of being away from him.

"Yes, but I've been friends with their father since college. Stephen, Kylar and Zachary are like sons to me, since I never had any of my own. Just a girl."

"So you wish they were your kids instead of me?"

"I said nothing of the sort."

"Yeah, you sort of did, Dad." I crossed my arms tightly over my chest. "'Just a girl.' That's what you said."

"Yes, but I didn't mean it like that!"

"I think you did. I've heard you tell mom that you would have rather had a boy instead of me. You even talked to her about adopting a little boy when you found out you couldn't have any more children!" By this point, I was only a few octaves away from yelling.

Now my dad was getting angry. "And how is it that you heard that, seeing that we only talked about that in a private conversation in our bedroom with the door closed?"

"You forget that fact that I have really good ears and that the air vent in your room leads to the one that comes out in the basement, which was where I was at the time that you said that."

"How many other conversations did you eavesdrop on? Did we have any privacy at all?"

"You had every option to fix those vents. I told you repeatedly that I could hear you talking through them. And yet you did nothing! So it's your own fault that I heard anything at all!"

His eyes snapped up to mine with that accusation.

"There is no respect in your tone, young lady! No respect at all!" He growled. "You are grounded until further notice!"

I had calmed down a bit but when he said that, my temper flared right back up.

"I don't think so." I said calmly.