Blessed by the Moon (Mates at First Bite)--Chapter One: Waiting

I won't force you to, but it would be very much appreciated if a comment or vote can be left after reading this. Even if you hate it, please say something about the story otherwise I won't know what I should do with it.

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Chapter One: Waiting

Day was drawing to an end as the light began to fade and the restless became still. Kolya, Alpha of the Miroslav pack, impatiently paced back and forth across the damp earth awaiting the arrival of his fleet-footed messenger. Times of conflict were not very welcome for the much diluted resources of the ancient pack that had dwindled down to its fewest numbers since their beginning. One thought in particular continued to evade dissolution: being a lone alpha was weakening his already vulnerable pack. It was of the utmost importance that he find a mate and soon...otherwise they risk being exposed and defenseless against their rivals. However, it was so much easier said than done for the choosing of a mate was an extremely delicate process. One would not want to rush into things such as that, especially due to the fact that once one does choose a mate and mark them, there's no going back and they are forced to stay with their choice until death do they part. He definitely didn't want to be stuck with a complaining, sniveling, volatile, self-centered, unfeeling bimbo who would abuse her position and boss his pack around for her own stupid little whims instead of allowing them to protect themselves against the oncoming Alrik pack. No, needed someone who was patient, hard to anger, slow to speak, careful of her actions, undemanding, and beyond all else loving. Disregarding every other trait, as an alpha he needed someone who would be there by his side no matter what the world threw at them, comfort him with a warm body and a soul overflowing with kindness and understanding, and love him beyond the measure of any word of grandiloquence or grace and to where speaking simple words couldn't ever possibly enough to fill the void of silence that comes with the lack of a want for everyday conversation. Even as just himself, he only wanted someone to talk to, someone to tell every minuscule secret to, someone to be completely open with and finally be able to shed away the many pelts of titles and duties that he allowed to cover himself with. He wanted at least one person to know who he really was, the person he wanted to be before he became the alpha, the person he had to give up being in order to protect his people.

The only problem was...how in the name of Perun was he going to find such a girl?

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

When a vehicle is in motion and Benita Lynde is a passenger she will inevitably be induced to sleep. However, when it comes to being in certain places--for instance, Westcilffe, Colorado--it's impossible for her mind to be at ease, especially when the sun is angled at just the right spot behind the mountains and amongst the clouds. So as her dad drove the big hunkering suburban down the dirt road to her aunt and uncle's cabin, for once she was awake to give testimony of the feat. Anyways, the sunset wasn't the only thing that kept her eyes wide open. There was something about the evening air that rushed into the truck through the rolled down windows that felt different. It was almost as if it held an atmosphere of purpose and that there was an actual reason for her to be there this time around instead of just being a dropping-by, loafing-around visitor. Beni took a long whiff of the cool mountain air and held her head up high, knowing that something big was definitely coming around the bend during this particular visit to Westcilffe.

short for now, but I gotta go to bed. so very sorry. and by the way, miroslav is slavic for "peace and glory". Kolya is slavic for "victory of the people". Alrik is Scandinavian for "all ruler". Benita is Italian for "blessed", and Lynde is German for "peaceful".