Chapter 16

Splashpaw stretched. He had just woken up. Tigerpaw padded up next to him on the large branch. Her belly was huge.
   "Your belly looks large, beautiful. Have you been eating to much lately?" Splashpaw teased.
   "You know why," Tigerpaw murmured. She turned her head to the side in sadness. StarClan why? I'm to young! She thought.
   "Yes I do," Splashpaw meowed. He stroked her belly with his tail. She pushed it away.
   "Please, not now. My stomach hurts," Tigerpaw meowed. Splashpaw sighed and stopped. He began to walk away when Tigerpaw's gasp stopped him. He turned around to find her hunched over in pain.
"Th-their c-com-ing," she meowed in between gasps. Splashpaw just stared at her in confusion.
"Move, you hairball!" Sootsplash, his mother, shouted. She shoved him out of the way, almost making him fall off.
   "Call me that agai-" he started indignantly, but was interrupted by Sootsplash.
   "Help me get her to the nursery, or go get Pebblefrost," she growled. His mother sighed when her son just looked more confused. "Her kits are coming, you flea-brain!" She growled. Splashpaw, slightly taken back at his mother's tone, climbed up to the medicine cat den.
   "Pepplefrost! Tigerpaw's having kits! Now!" Splashpaw called. Pebblefrost raced out with herbs. They bounded over to the nursery. The first kit was already on the platform next to its mother's stomach. Tigerpaw didn't seem to be in that much pain, just in shock. Pebblefrost gave her some leafs, and gently pushed on her stomach. Soon another kit joined the clan.
"Congratulations Tigerpaw! Even though you are young to be having kits, your kitting wasn't dangerous at all. You have two she-cats!" The cranky medicine cat meowed. He sounded happy. Splashpaw looked at his daughters. A black and brown tabby, and a tortoiseshell. Pebblefrost and Sootsplash padded away, murmuring. Splashpaw sauntered up to Tigerpaw.
   "Aren't they beautiful," Tigerpaw sighed.
   "Yeah, yeah, sure. It would have been nice to have a son," Splashpaw mumbled.
   "And why is that! You should be happy with our kits. I didn't even consent to having them!" she growled.
   "She-cats are generally weaker than toms. I want my kits to be strong. I shouldn't need your consent, you weak piece of useless flesh," he growled. Tigerpaw looked hurt and angry. She stood up to swat him, but her kits meowed pitifully for her, so she quickly sat down again.
   "The odds of getting a tom is one out of two! It's even! I can't control the gender of our kits!" She meowed furiously. "If you aren't going to say something nice, don't say anything at all. Now if you'll excuse me! I'm going to take my kits to the nursery." She gently pick up their kits, and stalked into the nursery. Splashpaw could hear her weeping. Vineflower and their kits came running out.
   "So I'm not the only one," she teased. More seriously she added, "You know, you were a little to hard on her. She's very sensitive, and she's really into you. Be easy on her. That way she'll be yours forever."
   "Thanks Vineflower. I knew I made the right choice with you. Hello Riverkit and Nightkit!" He meowed. "How are my kits today?"
"Good!" They squeaked. "Can you play Cayman with us?"
"No, I have my warrior assessment today."
"Aww," the mewed sadly.
"Really! It feels like yesterday you were made an apprtice and I a warrior!"
   "Yeah, well I need to go otherwise Caymantooth will be as angry as a cayman." Vineflower licked his ear, and went to go to their kits. Splashpaw ran off to find Caymantooth to have his assessment.

   Splashpaw fell exausted in his den. Caymantooth had made him work his tail off. He soon fell asleep. Though not as fast as he would've if I Tigerpaw's warmth, and steady breath lulled him to sleep.