Chapter 14

Two moons later

Splashpaw padded out of the apprentices den. He stretched, his claws digging into the bark. He heard a shriek. Sounds familiar. Probably just a cat almost falling off. Another shriek. It sounded in pain. Pebblefrost hurried out of his den. His mouth was stuffed with herbs and a stick. What is going on? He ran over to the sound. Vineflower! She's kitting!
   The black queen was lying on the nursery platform, her belly bulging. Splashpaw saw a ripple pass through her. As it did, she shrieked. He started to bound over then stopped. How would it look if an apprentice was the first to see the new kits? They might suspect me to be the father. Oh who cares! It isn't against the 'warrior code'. He spat in his head. He ran over, claws going deep in to the soft bark.
   "Vineflower's kitting?" He asked nonchalantly.
   "What do you think!" Pebblefrost growled. Vineflower screeched. "Here, bite on this." Vineflower obeyed the medicine cat. She bit down on the stick he gave her.
   "Now, when I tell you push, push. Alright?" He meowed, and she nodded. "One...Two...and now!" Vineflower pushed, a ripple passed through her, the stick splintered, and a tiny bundle slipped into the grass. Pebblefrost bit the sack around it, and licked its fur the wrong direction.
   "Here, make yourself useful and lick the kits fur the opposite direction," the medicine cat growled, shoving the kit in Splashpaw's face. Splashpaw shrugged, fake of course, and grabbed his kit. He licked its fur the wrong direction. The kit's already long black fur soon became free of the goo surrounding it.
   "Here comes another one!" Pebblefrost meowed. Another bundle slipped into the world as his mother whimpered in pain. "That's the last one. Congratulations! A tom and a she-cat!" The medicine cat left, giving Vineflower some borage before going.
   "What should we name them?" Vineflower asked. "I was thinking Riverkit for the she-cat. She reminds me of the river with her brown coat."
   "That's nice. Nightkit for the tom? Or maybe-" Splashpaw was interrupted by his mate.
   "Nightkit it is. Now, I'm tired. Would you caring Nightkit into the nursery?" Splashpaw nodded. He dropped his son off, and went to go get something to eat. He ran into Tigerpaw on the way.
   "So you're just going have kits all of the she-cats? Do you even care about me?" Tigerpaw growled. Her usual sweet nature gone.
   "Now, now. No need to get yourself in a fit. I was only trying to get some experience at kittings. Since we will be having a few litters," he meowed calmly, the last part coming out as more of a sneer. He placed his teeth around her neck. "Now what was that again?" He meowed threateningly. Her small body shook in fear.
   "N-nothing. N-nothing at-t all," she stuttered.
   "Good. Remember, anger and fear isn't good for kit development," he growled, letting go of her throat. He walked over to the prey basket to eat, gobbled down a fish, and went off to go battle train.
   After many bruises, he went back to camp. He soon fell asleep to the stars above twinkling.