[ chapter 18 ] - [ A Bond Like No Other ]

A blur of red hair rushes past you with his scythe swinging around with no mercy. You giggle and pivoted your way out of the close attack. Red eyes met [e/c] ones as you two were rather enjoying your fight.

"How long has it been since we've fought like this?" You hear your best friend, Spriggan, ask you. His human-like figure twirls to avoid your sharp sword from hitting his abdomen.

"Well, your owner is too busy to have us fight!" You laugh. Though the fight may be serious for your owners, you and Spriggan were having the time of your lives. After weeks of not fighting each other, therefore, not seeing each other, it was rather nostalgic to fight like old times again.

Being shoved into an unfamiliar world full of unfamiliar things, the sense of familiarity that Spriggan brought made you feel at ease.

"He's a little stubborn," Spriggan replies, his red cape fluttering in the wind as he swipes at your person. "But he's making me stronger, so I suppose I can forgive him."

"Ah!" You squeak after seeing Spriggan feint an attack only to roundhouse kick you over the red line. You land on the ground with a sigh. "Ugh! No fair! I lost my footing thanks to that new move of yours. . ."

"Loser," Spriggan lifts his fingers to shape an L. You merely roll your eyes and stuck your tongue out at him.

"Storm Spriggan, Over Finish. One point!"

Just as the next battle had almost begun, you found yourself strangely on the floor. As you blinked repeatedly as to what had happened, you quickly realized you transformed back into your human form. After being on your hands and knees upon returning, you feel a hand against your back.

"Referee, please call a time out," Shu's voice says before helping you up by holding your hand to hoist you up. You look at him with a puzzled look. Shu, however, answers your confusion by pointing at your owner on the other side of the stadium.

"Thanks," you quickly uttered before turning around to see what was wrong. To your surprise, you see your owner's completely red face with steam practically flying out of his head.

"Time. . .Time out!"

"V-Valt?" You whispered in concern before rushing to his side. When you see he wasn't reacting to your presence, you slightly panicked. "H-Hello?!" You waved your hands in front of his face before placing your hands against his cheeks. The coldness from your hands snapped him out of his trance. "Valt! Are you alright?!"

Suddenly, as though a switch has been flipped, Valt immediately looked the other way and exhaled a bunch of warm air. "I thought I was dead!" He exclaims.

"Y-You stopped breathing?!" You exclaimed with sheer panic etched on your face. "You humans need oxygen to breathe!!"

"S-Sorry," he says sheepishly.

You sighed and reeled back your hands. You should be expecting stuff like this from him by now, but it still makes you worried either way. "Hey, stop overthinking things," You warned, "Take a deep breath and calm down. Remember our training."