10. DINNER INVITATION

CHAPTER TEN:

DINNER INVITATION

GRACE WALKED DOWN THE STAIRS OF HER childhood home, hearing the voices of teenage girls from downstairs.

"And if they traced the money from Ian to you? How would you explain that?" Hanna spoke up and Grace paused on the staircase, making sure she was out of sight to eavesdrop on the girls conversation.

Why the hell did they mention Ian?

She couldn't hear them as they lowered their voices. Grace could only hear snippets of their conversation.

"I don't wanna walk into another A-stravaganza like that fashion show."

"God, the look on Mrs.DiLaurentis' face." Emily whispered and Grace took that as her que to walk down the rest of the stairs.

The doorbell rang, and Hanna exited the kitchen, surprised to see Grace grabbing her purse from the entryway table.

"Hey, Grace." Hanna began awkwardly as she reached the door, she was tense. The younger Marin was worried that her older sister could have heard their conversation. "Going somewhere?"

"Yeah," Grace chirped, opening the side door that led to the garage that held her car. "Going to Jason's."

She pondered what the teenage girls were talking about in the kitchen. Why did they mention Ian, and who else were they talking about?

º º º

THE NEXT MORNING, GRACE MARIN woke up to the smell of beautiful food cooking downstairs. She rolled under the covers, peeking out to notice the sun high in the sky. After spending the evening with Jason and his mother, it was time for the blonde woman to go home.

She was reluctant, and Jason wish she could have stayed with him, but Mrs. DiLaurentis was still on edge since the fashion show debacle.

Grace got out of bed slowly, stretching before she got ready for the day. As she exited her room, Grace spotted her mother and Hanna walking down the stairs. She caught up to her family, muttering a brief hello to each, everyone still tired.

"Oh, hi. Perfect timing." Emily said as the three Marin woman walked into the room.

"Emily, you didn't have to do this." Ms. Marin told the young girl staying with them.

Emily smiled as she sat down. "No, I wanted to. I wanna thank you for letting me stay here."

"You're welcome. It's great to have you here."

"Please, sit." Emily motioned for them to sit and it didn't take long for Grace to sit down and start eating. She was famished as she gulped down some coffee.

"Are you gonna do this every morning?" Hanna asked her friend, marvelling over the food on display.

"My mom says not to wait until you're leaving to say thank you." Emily told her friend with a smile.

"How is your mom? Have you talked to her?" Ashley asked Emily, sipping her coffee.

"Uh, yeah, I spoke to her after my run."