TBNRCanadian- Fireworks

Preston's P.O.V.

It was the 3rd of July, one day before literally the biggest day of the of the year for Americans. The only problem was, Mitch was terrified of fireworks. Loud noises could send him into tears and often I spend hours trying to comfort him after something scared him.

Some of the doctors we'd seen though Mitch had a minor form of autism or a sensory trigger but Mitch didn't think so, and it was just a phobia.

There were times when he would refuse to leave the house, couldn't record, wouldn't leave his room because he was on the verge of a breakdown. He would spend hours hiding in his bed, locking his door and refusing to talk to anyone, not me or Jerome, who lived with us.

I knew the following night was going to be tough for him and I knew I'd be spending the night together because he wouldn't let me go. I could feel his nervousness radiating off him, he was already on edge even though the fireworks weren't for another 24 hours at least.

I watched from the kitchen, where I was standing, as Mitch paced around the living room and nervously glanced out the window of the apartment. He looked exhausted, but I hadn't noticed him staying up any later than normal because we slept in the same bed. I hadn't got a guest room.

"Mitch, I know you're nervous, but it'll be okay." He looked up and I saw his hands shaking. He was standing slightly hunched over and he was shifting his weight from side to side as he attempted to stand still.

"Come 'ere." I tried to keep my tone soft but I was worried. I knew loud noises could send him into a panic attack and sometimes it was so bad he could pass out, which was what happened last year.

I walked around the kitchen bench and right up to Mitch, wrapping my arms around him. As soon as I did, he went limp and I gently picked him up, carrying him the few feet to the couch, before he cuddled into me. It was going to be a long few days.

---------------------------------------

Mitch had thrown himself into videos all day and I was getting worried. He was extremely twitchy and jumped at the slightest of noises, making recording hard, especially with others.

We returned from the office at four after we had both finished recording what we needed too. Mitch had finished all his editing, being the steamroller he was because of nerves and I could edit the remaining video I had to do at home.

By 5 o'clock Mitch was refusing to sit still, pacing up and down the living room and biting his nails nervously. I was starting to get nervous, we had just over an hour at the least until some of the fireworks started, mostly the smaller home made shows, and then around 10 the big ones would start.

I had tried to comfort him, but he wouldn't sit still long enough for me to do anything to help. I was sitting on the kitchen bench, watching him carefully as he paced back and forwards along the tiles, still biting his nails and trying not to sink his teeth into the back of his hand, which he had done on several occasions before.

"Mitch?" He looked over at me, shaking. I pulled him into a hug again and noticed his unusually quick breathing and his clammy hands and sighed, kissing his forehead and squeezing him tight. "I know you're scared, but we'll get through it tonight. Do you want to call the others?"

He nodded.

"But won't they be out?" I shook my head.

"Vikk and Lachy won't be, they'll be up already." He nodded again and I pulled him over to the computer, opening up Skype and going to Lachlan's name. Vikk and Lachlan were in Australia together and it was roughly 9 in the morning for them, so chances were they were already up.

I hit the call button and it took barely 5 seconds before the call was answered, Lachlan's confused face appearing on screen.

"Um hi? Why are you calli- wait never mind. It's the fourth of July." His eyes drifted to Mitch, who was half sitting on my lap and playing with his fingers, his eyes unfocused and drifting from object to object. "Hold up, I'll get Vikk." He turned his head around and then screamed down the hallway, "Vikk! Get up here!"

I turned my attention to Mitch again and tried to pull his attention to me and it took a little while, as he seemed completely out of focus.

"Mitchy? Hey, look at me okay." His hazel eyes were pulled up towards me and he then rested his head on my shoulder, his eyes looking up at the screen where Lachlan was still sitting. Vikk had appeared in the shot too and was whispering to Lachlan, who was nodding at whatever he said.

"Hey Mitch." Vikk said, and he nodded at him.

Suddenly his entire body jolted as the explosion of a firework echoed from outside the house. His hands raised in front of his face and his eyes widened, turning to the window and his breathing becoming scarily shallow with the noise. I knew at once that the fireworks had started and it was going to be a long night from there.

I slipped the headphones over his head and his attention turned to the other two boys, still clinging to my hand in fear of the noises from outside which I knew would continue for a long time to come. Vikk and Lachlan were talking cheerfully and trying to distract him, and in the minutes that followed he slowly relaxed into my shoulder.

I couldn't hear what either of the boys in call were saying but I didn't mind, I just played around with his fingers and listened for any noises from outside. I could hear cheering and voices, but the fireworks seemed to have slowed. I knew the home fireworks were technically illegal, but it didn't stop most people from using them anyway.

It only took half an hour of talking before Mitch's eyes started to droop and he slumped against my shouder, the headphones falling off his head. I took them off and placed them on my own head, waiting for Lachlan and Vikk to realise that Mitch was almost asleep.

They were talking between themselves, Lachlan playfully hitting Vikk as they whispered. It wasn't hard to tell that they were together, even though they tried to hide it.

"Oi! Lovebirds!" I said it in a whisper, but tried to include as much force in my voice as possible. Lachlan looked up, flushing red and pulled his head behind out of sight behind Vikk and Vikk whispered something to him, smiling at him.

"Yeah?" I rolled my eyes.

"Would you two stop being all lovey-dovey and pay attention for three seconds? We're going to bed." Vikk nodded, turning his head back to talk to Lachlan again. "I get it you two, we all know you're together." I could just see Lachlan's face from behind Vikk, still flushed incredibly red. "It's chill."

"Thanks Preston, talk tomorrow?" I nodded, moving my left arm so it was supporting Mitch's neck.

"Yeah, I'll get this one to bed. It'll be easier to get through the night if he's asleep." Vikk nodded, his hand moving towards the end call button.

"Night Preston." The call ended and I then turned my attention back to Mitch, eyes closed and sleeping soundly with his head pressed into my neck. I moved my arms so one was underneath the back of his knees and the other was underneath his neck, so I could carry him up the stairs to our bedroom.

As I made my way slowly up the stairs Mitch's eyes started to flicker, so I gently stepped up and down a few stairs a couple of times to keep him asleep. Once I had made it into the bedroom and lay Mitch onto the bed, pulling the duvet and sheets down, lying them on top of him.

He rolled onto his side and let out a little whimper, reaching out to the side and I knew he was trying to reach out for me. I pulled my shirt off and slipped into the bed beside him, allowing him to move his head into my chest which was his regular sleeping position most nights, unless it was too hot.

Outside I heard more fireworks, bigger ones and sighed in relief. Once Mitch was asleep it was hard to wake him up so I knew his chances of sleeping through the fireworks and the rest of the night were high.

"Night Mitch."