Part 5

The winter air was usually cold as it streamed through the coach window. Anna watched the snow fall from the trees lining the road. Wrapped in the warmest cloak she had, which was rather threadbare, she rubbed her hands together, trying to stay warm. On her way out, Anna had only taken the items from her room that she could carry. The coach was easy to arrange, as one of the coachmen was a client. He was happy to help, for a favour. Anna hurriedly obliged, then bid him to bring the carriage around. By the time it arrived, she was already shivering from standing outside. She'd refused to stay within the Black House's doors, and be subject to the stares and questions from the other Sisters. It was no longer her home.

Part of her was surprised that Stepmother hadn't put up more of a fight. I suppose that love to her is merely possession, and she no longer has mine.

She also thought of Drucilda, alone in her room, sitting on the bed. Anna had lingered at the door, trying to explain herself as best as she could; she thought she owed Drucilda that much. But if the dark haired girl heard her at all, she hadn't responded.

She leaned back, resting her head on the wood paneling lining the carriage.

So many goodbyes... In her mind, she could almost hear the gentle lapping of the wave against the side of the Rasputin. She swallowed. But then, that ship was no home either.

A short time later, the coachman stopped the ride, hopped out and opened the carriage door for her.

"I don't be sure what you will find here, miss," he said, taking her lone bag out first, "but there it is." He pointed up the hill. The palace loomed over the hill, its ivory walls cast pallid grey under the cloudy sky. Anna stepped out and crunched down into the snow, gasping at the way the cold crept into her boots.

So this is what Rella saw, Anna looked up at the towering spires surrounding the tall golden doors. She imagined Rella's knees must have knocked at seeing something this grand.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing here?" The coachman squinted at her. "This ain't no place for a whore."

Anna sighed. Of course he would say it. "I shan't live on the street either. Perhaps this is the place," she said, "where I won't have to be a whore."

The coachman laughed. "I don't know about that. Word is, this place is locked tight. They won't be entertaining your dreams of employment right now."

Anna nodded. It was foolish to be there, she knew. "I've nowhere else to go. If I'm lucky, their Prince won't mind a pretty face to clean the floors."

The coachman slapped her on the butt. "You can always clean his knob for him!" Anna shot him a look of utter disdain. The coachman mumbled something about his departure, hopped back on the carriage, and ushered himself away.

Anna watched him go. There was no turning back now. She picked up her bag and marched up the hill.

The two armoured guards standing at the golden doors took note of her immediately. They were large, bearded and fearsome.

"Halt!" One of them commanded, which made Anna freeze in her tracks. "What business have you here?"

"I'm here to see the Prince." she said.

"You've missed the Ball, girl!" the men laughed. "And you don't seem fit for the part!"

Anna gave them a nervous smile. "Please sirs, I seek his compassion. I am in need of work."

The guards' faces immediately turned grim. "Listen girl, the palace is closed. If you haven't heard, there's been an... incident. The Prince will see no one."