24. Time out.

A/N Guys! Over 2k reads! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You can't imagine how happy that makes me feel! This is so fast and so unexpected! Only last week was the first 1k, and here we are at 2k already? I'm stunned! Thank you! I hope you enjoy what the story has to offer further along! And thank you again!

Love :*

"Because... Goddess, there is no easy way to say this, but... Emily, you are carrying another wolf's pup. In our world it is unacceptable, so most likely Nick is going to... reject you."

The words played in my mind like a broken record, hitting the most painful spot in my heart. Every second that passed felt like a knife tearing my heart apart. Did I really think I deserved happiness? How could I allow myself that tiny spark of hope that lit up in me when doc Evans said Nick was my mate? Stupid, stupid Emily, when will you drill it in that tiny brain of yours, that you don't get to have a happy ending? The most important thing for you should be your baby girls happiness, not yours. There is always something that's going to be in the way of it, I know that now, I've learned my lesson now. What doc Evans saw in my eyes was resignation. I gave up. I saw a lone tear that rolled down his wrinkly cheek and I gently swiped it away.

"It's ok doc, no need to cry." I said softly.

"I'm so sorry, my child..." With that he hugged me tightly, hoping to give the support I needed. Although he couldn't know that no amount of it would be enough for me. And I felt so numb, that it was me giving him some of my strength, not the other way. He seemed to be more upset with my situation then me.

"C'mon, old man. Don't go all mushy on me now." I teased him with a tight smile on my face.

"You are so strong, sweetheart."

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. Life goes on, doc, we have bigger problems that the big bad wolf rejecting me. I'm due very soon and we've got a stalker on our hands, so let's concentrate on that, ok?"

He took a deep breath, then patted my leg and stood up. He turned to leave, but I stopped him before he managed to do just that.

"Hey, doc!"

"Yeah?" He turned to me again, concern still visible on his face, but the tears were thankfully gone. I wouldn't want anyone crying over my problems. And also, I wouldn't allow myself to cry over it as well. I'll be strong. I'll get through it. I can do it. No other choice, for my baby girl.

"Do you think I could stay with you for a couple of days, if you don't mind?"

"Sure thing, sweetheart. Let's go grab some of your things and then we can be on our way."

He helped me to get up from the couch, and hand in hand we went to my room. I packed in my old duffel bag some of my things and took a long look around the room. I had a feeling, that everything was about to change, but at the same time it was still all the same madhouse. Here was I, holding the same duffel bag that had my humble possessions that day when I left home, and I'm doing it again. This place has become my home, but I do have to leave, maybe not as far as I planned before Shirley's outburst, but away from the place where I found out that I do not deserve happiness. With one last glance I turned to doc, he took my bag and handed me my cane. Slowly we went in the direction of the front door.

On our way we had to stop by the kitchen. Shirley and Lena were standing by the stove, hugging each other, and all the men were seated around the kitchen table. The twins starring at the table surface, Jonathan and Nick at me. Both of their gazes were intense, the only difference was that Jonathan's was full of sadness, I guess for both of us. But Nick's gaze broke my heart once again. It was full of disappointment and resentment. His eyes were so beautiful, the color was so deep and warm, but the air about him was cold as snow. But still I took a second to admire him. He was built same as Jonathan, had long dark brown hair put in a high man bun, his nose was straight, lips full, cheekbones high, jaw strong and well defined, a slight beard, as if he forgot to shave for a couple of days in a row. But what got me out of my stupor was his hands - they were balled in tight fists. His nostrils flaring, a low growl broke free from his throat and Jonathan placed a strong arm on his shoulder, keeping him still.

"Pull yourself together, son. Don't do anything you will regret later. And you will." He said quietly, but I heard. I guess he just spared my life, huh? Nick looked so livid, that it wouldn't come as a surprize to me if he tried to kill me. But then he didn't move a single muscle and never uttered a word. Both twins, Lena and Shirley gave me tight hugs and we said our goodbyes. With that we left.

* * *

I can't say that I slept good that night. I did manage to catch a few hours of a restless slumber, but being this big didn't help. Add to that my baby girl's behavior, she was acting out again. So much that at one point I cried out loud. Not a second later doc Evans was by my side rubbing my stomach and singing some corny blues tune with his raspy voice. I felt bad for doc, he was old, he needed his rest and I took it away from him, but the moment I tried apologizing, he cut me off with a stern look of displeasure, so I kept quiet. When it was finally breakfast time, I took a first look around his home. It wasn't big, but it was cozy, a log cabin with only two bedrooms - one master and one guest. Both rooms had ensuite bathrooms. Then there was the living room slash library and a small kitchen with a huge window. That's it, but what else would a single man need?

After breakfast we settled in the living room where doc introduced me to his huge book collection. He had all kind of stuff there, some related to medicine, some of entertainment, like mysteries and all, some collectibles and a huge part of werewolf history, and that was what captivated me the most. Doc Evans laughed at me, but allowed to dig into his collection and explore. If I were to live among them and have a were baby, I had to know everything there was to know, that was my mission now. That and also avoiding any type of conversation about the mate situation. While I read, doc sat in his own corner sorting through his own stuff, I didn't ask what exactly, I was so engrossed with my literature.

At some point Lena dropped by and we had a light lunch sharing a meaningless conversation. We even shared a laugh, but I felt the spirit of Nick hanging over our heads. I chose to ignore it. And that's how my day went.

The next day was no worse or better. Doc never left my side, helping me with everything I needed, feeding me, rubbing my stomach, singing to my baby, acting like a doting grandfather. That day it was Hannah who dropped by and brought her famous pear pie, which I ate almost alone and in a record time. Hannah laughed at that, and I could see that she was pleased. They shared a hushed conversation with doc and she left.

Then the next day came and everything was pretty much the same, except the we resumed our shooting lessons. I made some progress, this time it took me only 20 bullets to shoot one can down, I felt stupid, but doc Evans was ecstatic and said that after a couple more sessions I would be pretty equipped to stand my ground. That day the twins dropped by, and thanks to Simon's joyful nature I even laughed a bit.

My reading gave me a lot of information about werewolf history, the pack law and other useful information, but had close to none about healers. Doc Evans promised to talk to the elders and find out something that would help me develop my gift, but that would be only after I gave birth, so I was left with werewolf history 101 again.

On day four there was a knock on the door and doc Evans tensed. I looked at him worried, but kept silent. He went to open the front door and then stepped out without letting me see who was out there. Since I was huge and tired all the time, I didn't make any attempts to get up and was left to wallow in my curiousity from my spot in between the fluffy pillows of doc's couch. And then doc returned and with him was he, Nick.

"We need to talk."