Nighthawks // Part One

Veronica was up early on a mission today

Veronica was up early on a mission today. She pulled me from bed before I was properly awake so, I decided the floor would do since I was too lazy to get back in bed.

"Vanna, let's go!" Her foot connected with my side lightly just as I was almost asleep.

I groaned and rolled over. "Ron, just let me sleep."

"Nope!" She wasn't messing around this morning. "Come on, the world doesn't wait for anyone."

I sighed and pushed myself off the floor. School was a routinely thing that I wished to avoid. I quickly got dressed before heading into the bathroom. There wasn't any snow on the ground but the weather would be chilly today.

Since Dad had come to Riverdale, Veronica and I changed our schedules up a bit. Neither of us were home before dinner and we left before breakfast so we wouldn't have to deal with our parents. It seemed to be working so far but, as usual, luck wasn't on our side.

"TTFN, Smithers," Ronnie said as we made our way out the door.

Smither immediately moved towards us. "Oh, wait. You girls might want to take the side exit."

I tilted my head, confused. "Why?"

The door opening was enough of an answer. I sighed and crossed my arms. Dad walked in, looking slightly irritated.

"Yeah, why, Smithers?" He looked at Smithers expectantly. "Because they might bump into me coming in from an early run?"

"Good morning, Father." Veronica sounded peachier than I expected.

Dad looked away from Smithers to face us. "Mijas. You both leave before breakfast, come home after your mother and I have had dinner. I can't remember the last time we had a meal together as a family."

"Oh!" I piped up from next to Ronnie, "I can. It was at the Dakota. The day you got arrested."

Dad obviously didn't appreciate the tone in my voice. "Well, perhaps we should talk about that. Tonight, at dinner. The four of us."

"Unfortunately." I faked sadness in my response. "We have plans. To quote that New Yorker cartoon, how about never, Daddy. Is never good for you?"

With that, I stepped around him to make my way out the doors. I wasn't about to have him come home and try to run my life again. This freedom we have, it was without Dad here. I don't know why Mom fell right back into his dictator lifestyle but she was all for it. Me, not a chance.

"Wow, Vanna. I don't think I've ever seen you with that kind of attitude," Ronnie joked as she caught up with me.

I sighed, "Yeah, well, I'm not up for being bossed around all over again. Might as well stand up to him while I have the chance."

Veronica nodded. "Agreed. The issue is, he's going to push right back."

"And I'll be ready for it." I shrugged as we turned the corner. "I hope."