Chapter 31

"Hey, Juggy." Archie called as he ran after Jughead down the hall after they had all departed the rec room in different directions. "Hey, I've been thinking about your situation, and I talked to my dad. He said he's willing to give your dad a second chance, but only if FP wants it. He's gonna call him. But I think you should talk to him, too. Between the two of us, I think we can really make this thing happen." Archie smiled.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Jughead glanced around the run-down trailer park in distain; this was the last place he currently wanted to be. He looked at the trailer and took a deep breath before walking up to it and opening the door. An empty bottle rolled away as he did so and the whole place reeked of liqueur.

The prodigal son returns." FP sighed as he walked down the corridor, an empty glass in hand, and saw Jughead. "How you doing? You look good."

"I'm hanging in there." Jughead replied.

"Yeah?" FP nodded and stowed away a bottle of whiskey.

"I came by to ask... If you would consider going back to work with Fred Andrews." Jughead tried.

FP scoffed. "Yeah, he called me. I said no. He fired me, Jughead. What kind of man would I be if I went back, hat in hand?"

"For starters? A man with a job, trying to fix his family." Jughead shot back.

"Talk to your mom. She's the one who gave up on us, took your sister." FP slammed the cupboard door shut in anger.

"Can you please just go see Mr. Andrews?" Jughead pleaded. "He's willing to give you another chance."

FP Laughed. "Oh, he's willing, huh? That's generous of him, after all the crap he pulled on me." He walked and sat down.

"Dad, don't you want to see our family back together? Mom and Jellybean could come home. I could come home. It's not too late." Jughead said before he walked out. FP went to call after him but decided against it.

________________________________________________________________________________

After Cheryl had tweeted that they were all on the hunt for Polly, Betty and Blake had collected a search party of their own. Jughead, Archie, Veronica, the Pussycats, Betty's parents, Kevin, most of the football team and, because he was still too scared to say no to Blake, even Reggie. They gathered in the woods as Betty gave out instructions.

"Okay, the Sisters of Quiet Mercy are due north." Betty said pointing with her arms. "The getaway car was west, on the Old Route 40."

"The closest bus station is east, headed towards Sweetwater.†Blake said. "If Polly wanted to leave Riverdale without anyone seeing her, she probably would've left through..."

"Right here. Eversgreen Forest." Betty concluded as she smiled at Blake who returned the gesture.

They split off into different smaller groups, each with a select route, calling Polly's name. Jughead walked up to Blake and slipped his hand into hers with a small smile.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I just." He sighed. “I talked to see my dad. Your dad offered to take him back on but he won't out of pride or something."

"Hey, he'll come 'round. My dad can be pretty persuasive." Blake comforted him.

They all stopped talking as the group reunited and the Blossom's walked straight up to them.

"This is going to be fun." Blake muttered and hid slightly behind Jughead.

"Alice Cooper, where is she? Where's Polly?" Penelope spat.

"You think if I knew that, I'd be out here with the mosquitoes?" Alice retorted.

"Face facts, Mommy Dearest, Polly killed Jason." Cheryl cut in.

"She escaped from the asylum once, who's to say she didn't before, say, the day Jason got murdered?" Clifford stated.

"The noose is tightening around your murdering daughter's neck." Penelope said. "I know it, Sheriff Keller knows it."

"Hold on now." The sheriff said.

"And I promise you, when we find her, and we will find her, the entire town of Riverdale will know, too." Penelope finished.

________________________________________________________________________________

The groups stood outside the church as the Cooper's stood on the steps. An armada of tv cameras and reporters set their sights on the three.

"There's been a swirl of rumours today about our daughter, Polly." Alice started. "And we're standing here to tell you that they're all false. Yes, Polly was seeking treatment in a private care facility, and she was under strict observation even at the time of Jason Blossom's death. When she found out about the murder, she was beside herself with grief. You see, my daughter, Polly, is pregnant with Jason Blossom's baby."

This caused muttering to run through the crowd and even after the last few days, Blake's grip tightened on Jughead's hand.

"Polly wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone the father of her unborn child. Polly, darling, if you're watching this, please come home." Alice finished.