November 2017: The Writer

✨✨✨

✨✨✨

The taste of lukewarm coffee reminds me it's getting late, and my caffeine level is probably high enough to keep me awake into the early morning hours. Well, there is not much prospect of sleep if I don't finish this, anyway. My editor was adamant he needs the text first thing in the morning. That's in five hours—unfortunately our concepts of working days clash at this point.

Normally, the task at hand would be really easy.

"The journal wants an essay on your work, a small story to grip the reader, make him sympathise with you as a writer," he said, cheerful and no-nonsense as ever.

Easy, right? 1200 words about me and my writing, due in five short hours.

I sigh and drain my coffee. While I wait for the coffeemaker to refill my cup, a thought strikes me. There is one story about my writing worth telling.

Eager now, I sit down at my keyboard, coffee ready beside my screen, and start typing.

✨✨✨

Hello writing enthusiasts!

Welcome to #JustWriteBits' first monthly challenge, #TheWriter. According to the prompt above we challenge you to write a story of maximum 1200 words. It should be a story about writing, obviously.

You are free to base it on your own experience or give us a fictional creation. But don't forget it has to be told in a first person point of view.

The deadline to enter your challenge to our judging pool is Wednesday, 15th November, midnight UTC (24.00 h Coordinated Universal Time).

The best stories will be handpicked by our judges and earn a place in the #JustWriteBits anthology.

Your story must be in English. We currently have no other language capacities.

To submit it, publish your work on your own profile, either as a new story or part of an existing collection of short stories. Only one chapter, please!

Then post the link to your work in the comments below and fill this submission form.

Happy writing!

This challenge is closed now.