JASPER HALE is one big JERK! Or is he? -6-

6- 

Time goes by and I don’t kill anymore humans. Tanya or Kate will go hunting with me once every week. We spent a month building up my control before we actually went out to a public place.

It took a few tries before I could fully restrain myself from being tempted to drink, but I was now two months into my vampire life and I was going to live with Cullens. My human memories were mostly fuzzy, but I could remember the family.

Bella, my irritating pest of a cousin. Edward, Bella’s husband and mind reader. Emmett, the big, goofy muscular guy.  Rosalie, the stunning blond and Emmett’s wife. Alice, the one who had left, and has visions. Carlisle, the ‘father’ and doctor. Esme, Carlisle’s wife and the ‘mother’. Jasper, the empath who my emotions were apparently too intense for him to handle. I disliked him still. It was his fault he couldn’t control his own power. 

I knocked on the door one cloudy morning. Rosalie opened the door with a scowl, but it was quickly wiped off her face when she saw me,“I was expecting the dog.”

“Dog?” I ask.

“Shape-shifters. Long story.”

“Cecily!” Esme cheers and gives me a hug. “You look wonderful.”

“Thanks,” I smile. 

“CECIL!” Emmett joins out hug. 

“Hey, Emmett, glad to see you missed me,” I chuckle. 

“You guys can go hunting,” A voice with an alluring southern accent says. 

I turn around and frown when I realize it’s Jasper, the jerk. 

“Finally!” Emmett cheers. He, Esme, and Carlisle leave. 

Rosalie is upstairs, I guess with Edward and Bella if they are even here. I look at Jasper who looks like he’s studying me, “Would you stop that?”

“What?”

“Looking at me like... I’m some science experiment,” I wrinkle my nose in displeasure. 

“My apologies ma’am,” He uses his accent. 

“You’re not being funny.”

“I’m just picking up from your emotions,” He says.

“Well... learn to control your power better!” I tell him.

“I can’t.”

“Why not? You do it for everyone else!”

“Well you’re-”

Rosalie is downstairs with wide eyes and I smell blood and I hear a heart slowing, “Bella!”

I try to clear my head for a moment knowing that Jasper will be affected by my blood lust and that would be my fault if he killed Bella, but why is she still human in the first place. 

I close my eyes and try to clear my thoughts, but I can’t do anything. “Rosalie, go help Bella neither of us can really help at the moment,” I hear Jasper order and I feel someone tugging me outside.

I open my eyes when the scent of blood isn’t as potent and I look to see Jasper slowly breathing. He helped me. Maybe he wasn’t that much of a jerk. “Thanks.”

“Couldn’t have you killing your cousin, now could I?” He grinned. 

“What happened?” I ask.

“Bella is pregnant and is having her child.”

My eyes grow huge, “Bella, my prude of a cousin? How? Well I obviously know how, but... It’s possible!? Why didn’t he turn her before they...”

“Calm down,” Jasper tells me. “It affects me too.”

I take a deep breath feeling a wave of calmness hit me. “Explain the thing with Bella.”

“There isn’t much to it. They had their honeymoon, Bella got pregnant with a half vampire child, it was killing her, but we gave her blood and now she is having the child,” He shrugs. 

“Why do my emotions affect you so much?” I ask. 

“I’m not sure, I’ll ask Carlisle.”

“You know when you aren’t being subjected to my emotions you aren’t half bad,” I tell him.

“I am right now, but you aren’t angry right now,” He corrects. 

“Jerk,” I tease.

“It takes one to know one,” He rolls his eyes. “I think it is safe to go inside now.”

We walk into see Rosalie on the couch cradling a very aware looking newborn child. Jacob Black, one of the kids I new from La Push, is sitting next to them staring at child like a lost idiot. 

“Um.. Jacob?” 

He looks up and studies me for a second, obviously not recognizing me. “Cecily Swan?” He asks. 

“The one and only. Why are you staring at that child like an idiot?”

“I should be asking you why you are a vampire,” He retorts.

“As I should be asking why you know about vampires,” I reply.

“I am a shape-shifter-”

“He imprinted on Renesmee,” Rosalie wrinkles her nose in disgust.

“Renesmee?”

“The baby girl,” Jacob grins. “So how’d you become a vampire?”

“Long story. If you help me bring my things in from my car I’ll explain it to you. Deal?” 

He nods.