2 - Captain Jonathan Archer

“I am speaking with Jonathan Archer, the captain of the Enterprise, registry number NX-01. Captain, please tell me your age.” 

“I’m forty-one years old.” 

“What was your most indelible moment during the war?” 

“Huh,” Archer thought for a moment. “I think it was when we were raided by Osaarian pirates, and then we captured one of them, when we first got into the Delphic Expanse.” 

“Why does that particular moment stand out for you? I imagine a lot of people would have pegged you for the attack on Earth, or the time when the Xindi ultimate weapon was finally stopped.” 

“It is not that those moments aren’t indelible. But, but this one? There are times,” the captain explained, “in your life when you just, you can almost watch them unfolding, as if you were removed from them, and they were just some show on the viewer. They seem unreal, like slow motion, and you’re disconnected from them.” 

“So why did this moment feel unreal and disconnected for you, Captain?” 

“It was; it was the first moment that I crossed a line that I never thought I would cross. Our mission was already threatened. And so I fought back.” 

“Was that line crossed more than once?” 

A nod. 

“Surely your crew participated.” 

“No, it was just me. I alone am responsible. Now turn off that damned camera.”