Chapter 4

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Bonfire Heart James Blunt
Everybody wants a flame,
But they don't want to get burned
And today is our turn

Dangerous James Blunt
And we all get a taste for blood tonight
'Cause we've all had a taste for love

***

"Did Ivy seem weird to you?" I ask, glancing at Tyler out of the corner of my eyes before turning my attention back to the road.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know, it just felt like – like she was hiding something," I murmur, mostly to myself.

"Don't worry too much about it," he assures, grabbing my free hand and rubbing circles in my wrist. "It was probably just overwhelming for her to see you again after everything."

"I know, but-"

"Grace.

The way he breathes my name so softly, calmingly, stops my mind from spiraling out of control and I smile.

"I love you," I sigh, squeezing his hand.

"I know," he smugly teases, causing me to yank my hand out of his and smack his arm lightly.

"Hey!"

"Come on, Grace, you know I love you, too," he laughs.

"Well then say that and don't be little shit," I huff dramatically, failing my attempt to hide my grin.

He laughs at my pout, leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Don't distract the driver!" I warn, feigning seriousness. "Do you want me to crash?"

Suddenly, my phone begins to ring.

"Who is it?" I ask, handing it to Tyler.

"Jace. Want me to put it on Bluetooth?"

"Please."

Tyler hooks it up to my car and picks up.

"Hey Jace, you're on speaker," I say. "What's up?"

"Hey Trace, just checking to see how move in day was going?"

"Trace? Please tell me you didn't just give us a couple name," I say, disgust dripping from my voice.

"What? You don't like it?" he asks, feigning innocence.

"Dude, just be happy you aren't here," Tyler laughs, glancing at my pissed off expression. "I think she might strangle you."

"Oh, I'm definitely thinking about it," I grumble.

"What's so wrong with having a couple name?"

"It's so demeaning!" I exclaim. "Like Tyler and I only exist to be in this relationship. We're our own people, Jace. How would you like it if I started you Jinity?"

"Jinity?" he asks. "Hm, I like it."

"Ugh, you're the worst," I say. "I don't know why we're friends."

"Because you love me."

"Shut up."

Tyler laughs at our exchange, always amused by my ability to bicker with just about anyone.