chapter 7

losing you aquilo

Sebastian

"Adam." I smiled, bringing him in for a hug. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, and my heart felt like it could explode. I think out of my whole family, I missed my little brother most of all.

"I've missed you," he said. I heard him sniffle as I pulled away. He had a tear falling down his pink cheek. I wiped it off with my thumb and looked at him. He was growing up so fast, his facial features becoming more defined, and he must've grown three inches.

"I hear you're an honour student?" I wrapped my arm around him as we walked into the house.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but the atmosphere had changed drastically since the last time I had been at home. When I left, I hated everything about this house. The way it looked, and how it smelled. But now, it felt like an actual home. It smelled like my mom's cooking, and it felt warm. Not cold like when I left.

Maybe it wasn't the house I had hated when I left, but it was myself. I tricked my brain into thinking I hated everything else. It's funny how your mind can trick you like that.

"Yes, I've been working really hard in school," my brother answered. I hugged him tight again and walked into the kitchen.

"I made your favourite, Sebastian." My mom smiled, stirring the big pot.

My mouth watered. "Potato soup?"

"I wanted to make something special for when you came home. And I made a big batch so you can take some back to the hospital with you," she beamed.

My heart sunk. I had to leave home again on Monday. Not if I could convince them I was well enough to come home, for good. That now was my only goal.

"Thank you," I said graciously. As I sat at the counter, looking around at old pictures, and the smell of my mother's cooking, it made me think of Luna. I wanted her to meet my parents. I'm sure they would love her.

"See, these are my medals," Adam said proudly, bringing a coat hanger full of gold and silver medals into the kitchen. For just a fourteen-year-old kid, he has accomplished much more than I ever have.

"Jeez. I only got one and it was bronze. Good job kid." I smiled, reading the backs of all the medals to see what each one was for. I remember always liking to learn, but once everything started to fall apart, so did my grades. I stopped trying.

"Dinner is almost ready. Maybe go unpack and wash up and when you come back we will eat." My mom said, sprinkling some salt into the soup.

"Wanna see my room? It's changed since you left." Adam ran down the hall, and I followed along.

As I walked down the hallway, I looked at all the pictures on the wall. They were of Adam, and of myself, back when I went to school. I missed school. Most people would be glad to leave school, but I was not joyous at all. It still affects me, all the people I left behind. Not that they cared much, but I cared for them.

They don't matter anymore now anyway.

Adam opened his door and flicked the light on. It was clean, just how it was when I left. Adam was such a neat and organized person, I didn't expect anything less. He painted his walls though, from a dull brown to a light blue, which makes it look more grown up, as he puts it. I had to agree since he now had his bin of toys gone, and a T.V. in its place.

"Wow. It looks very nice. I'm surprised it's still clean. Did it even get messy once since I left?" I questioned.

Adam looked up, deep in thought. "It might have gotten messy once or twice when Damian came over. But I cleaned it the next day."

I let out a loud laugh, hugging my little brother again. He and Damian were such troublemakers when they got together. You'd think Adam's floor would never again see the light of day.

"I've missed you, Sebby," he said.

"I know. But I think I've missed you more."

"Can you stay home this time? Please don't leave again." I felt my heart break again.

"I'll ask mom and dad. I don't want to leave ever again."

"Good, because I don't want you to leave again either."