Chapter 21 - Familia

I didn't tell him I love him... did I?

After surviving a nasty cold, I'm not sure of what I did, said or what happened between Saturday and Monday. I woke up on Tuesday feeling a whole lot better, but with fuzzy memories.

I guess Devin figured out I would be indisposed and amnesic because I found a sticky note on my laptop saying the party of last Saturday went fine and the check was in my purse. I did find it so it must be true. What freaked me out is that under the note he wrote Peyton's cat and I love you too.

I stick the note back on my notebook. Devin grins while he works making favor bags and I wonder if it is a joke.

The video call tone on my phone rings and the ID says it's mom. After answering, I hear ruffling sounds but my screen is black.

"Mom?"

"You need to turn the camera on," I hear one of my brothers say.

"I'm pressing it but nothing happens."

After he stops laughing, the video starts and I see him.

"She was pressing the actual lens," he laughs.

"I'm not a technology moron!" she complains. "Give me that! How are you mija?" she says in a too pleasant tone.

I'm suspicious about what this call could be about but I play along.

"I'm okay. And there?"

"Good, good. I'm calling you because I need your handy party skills."

A-ha! She usually calls to complain about the guys, so I knew such a greeting was to ask something of me.

"What are you planning?" I ask and look at Dev, who seems busy counting boutique chocolate bars but I know is listening.

"Oh, just a little get-together. Mostly family."

"Ma, there are like 50 of only those."

"And some friends and neighbors. Something simple. You probably have something to decorate in that magical shed of yours. With fall colors, and pumpkins, a forest theme. I already ordered the food. The usual, congrí, vaca frita and yuca con mojo. Natilla for dessert. That friend of your dad who plays in a salsa orchestra will come by with a few friends to take care of the entertainment."

"Why do you need me then? Everything is planned and probably you have more decorations at home than me in the storage."

Mom laughs lightly and fans her face.

"Oh, you know me too well. I was calling to invite you and to bring your boyfriend."

Boyfriend? I look at Devin who shakes from his silent laugh.

"Why do you think I have a boyfriend?"

"People talk. Even more when they see my daughter smooching with a man at the parking lot of Biggies. So, see you later. Told the family to be here at seven."

I'm so shocked I can't move or talk. Devin grabs the phone from my hand.

"See you then, Mrs. Martin. Thank you for the invitation."

Something like a scream and a giggle leave my mom's mouth before Devin hangs the call.

"What am I gonna do?" I lament.

"Seems you are going to dinner at your parents with a boyfriend in tow."

"But Dev... you and I... we- are we in a relationship?"

Devin smiles as he caresses my cheek. "Not if you feel we are rushing things. Let's go to your family and enjoy the night. I can just pretend we are together."