Chapter 34: Superstitions

-Jack

Vibrations traveled up my legs when I tried to land, so I just kind of hovered while the other two climbed off.

Skai frowned at me, reminding me of the way my mum used to when I'd jumped down from a dangerously high perch or swum in a notoriously fierce stretch of river. She opened her mouth and I braced for a long lecture, but she just closed it again and turned away. "We should get going."

Tom's head popped out of Colton's pocket. "What a grand adventure!"

"Yeah, well, it's not over yet," I said, readjusting my duffel. "Tomorrow we're going straight back into the fire." I inwardly cringed at my choice of words.

"So where will we hide?" asked Colton, already following Skai. I fell into step. . . flight. . . behind them.

"Some cave some place," I answered, to which Colton just snorted.

I wondered if Colton had ever been here. He'd been to so many other places. . . Or at least claimed to. If he had, surely he'd know of the mountains' ancient and secret magic. But I couldn't ask here, in front of Skai. If she knew it might not be safe, she'd never agree to stay!

"Hey Colton, could you help me really quick?"

They both turned.

"It will just take a second."

Colton's expression turned sour. "Help you with what?"

I shrugged innocently. "I used up the last of my rocks a while ago. I haven't really gotten a chance to resupply."

He looked at me incredulously. "You want me to pick up rocks?"

"Just a few." When he still didn't move, I sighed. "I was thinking maybe when we had time I'd show you how to make a slingshot, but. . ." I shrugged.

Grin splitting his face, he ran over to me. "Any rock?"

Skai cut in before I could answer. "I don't think that's a good idea. We need to get to shelter. Before the chameleon horses see us, and before it gets dark."

I nodded. "You should go find our hiding place. It'll only take us a few seconds, and we'll catch up to you with minutes to spare."

Skai frowned, but I addressed Colton. "That one right there with the pink tint is good."

Colton raced to pick it up and Skai sighed, rubbing her eyes. "Fine. Whatever." Then she stomped off.

"Got it!" He bounded up to me, eyes shining. "Which one next?"

"Look for smoother pebbles about this big, with a roughly even weight distribution."

As he scuttled around from bush to mossy rock, I looked around too, though not for throwing rocks. I was looking for magic.

The scape around me reminded me of the Farmlands, only more hilly. Grass poked up anywhere it could, and giant trees crumbled boulders within their sprawling roots.

My eyes widened and I sucked in breath as I caught sight of a small lizard, but it scuttled away before I got a good look. Its scales were silvery and gleamed as it ran. That much I'd seen. So, it wasn't a breed I knew. But that didn't mean much. There were bound to be animals adapted specifically to these mountains. I couldn't expect to come here and recognize every plant and animal as one having also grown at my home.

"I think I found one!"

I turned as Colton came running. I felt its balance when he handed it to me. "Perfect."

He grinned and turned to go find some more.

"Colton?"

"Yeah?" He was already back to studying the ground.

"Have you ever been here before?"

"Where? The Eastern Mountains?"

"Yeah." My heart reverberated in my chest.

"Of course not."

Disappointment flared through me. "Why not?"

"Why would we? Our wagons can't exactly climb. And anyway, no one lives up here."

"Maybe." My eyes zoomed in on a stone. "Over there."

"Oo!" He brought it back to me. "You believe the stories then? About the mysterious magical people who live up here?"

I shrugged. "Why not?"

After everything I'd seen, the smirk on his face surprised me. "You don't?"

"Of course not! That's just a bunch of dumb superstitions people have because they don't understand magic."

I clenched my jaw. I'd finally met someone who believed in magic, and yet believing in these mountains was still foolish.

"How many more?"

I swallowed my emotions. "Just a couple." I turned, right into the sun's glare. I squinted, trying to take in anything through the harsh blue glint. And blinked as it hit me. The blazing light couldn't be from the sun- it was blue.

I blinked a few times and studied the view before me. The blue was most intense where it met the yellow sunlight. Where the sun was half behind the mountain, half unobstructed. The sun was shining through it, as though it was stained glass, and not solid rock and soil.

I smiled. We'd see who was right.

A/N: Thanks for reading! Comment below: what did you like? Dislike? I'd love to hear from you!