Chapter 25

He was allowed one last meeting with his students, a means of letting the beloved, costumed teacher bid them farewell. For the sake of not leaving y'all on the verge of tears, it will remain indescribable. He returned home to an ever supportive wife. She lent him her shoulder to cry on as he sat beside her at the breakfast table.
"I made ya some cocoa. To cheer ya up, Cami." she whispered, handing him a mug of the feel-good beverage in his time of need. He'd relished many a cup of it at the asylum. It, being his best memory of the gloomy asylum, second to the makeshift radio station, of course! "What're ya doin outta bed anyway? Yer not s'possed to be outta bed or in the kitchen, let alone make cocoa an' what not!" he scolded, blowing over the hot cocoa to allow it to cool. "Bein at home's driving me nuts! I've gotta keep myself busy with house work, atleast!" she confessed, rearranging the coasters on the table just to keep her hands busy. She sighed, running her fingers through his hair pitifully as he quietly sipped his cocoa.
"Cami, I can't see ya like this, ya know? She can't do this to ya, ya know? She just can't...!" he almost spilt his cocoa on seeing her jump up and declare. For a pregnant woman, she had enough energy to embark on a protest rally! "She can an' she just did, love. Just let it go. I'll find another job. In the words o' the great Gloria Gaynor- I will survive!" Campbell exclaimed half-jokingly, before forcing himself to crack a smile just to put her at ease. "See?! Ya can't even talk normally without quotin song lyrics, for chrissakes! Ya don't belong anywhere else but in a radio station, Cami!" she continued to protest the unfairness of it all. "Aye, I know that! But, they won't have me back, will they? I'm an outcast again! Fat load o' good it did me bein a rebel!" she heard him mutter under his breath, angrily.
"Anyway, it's fine, love. I finally get to spend time with the love o' my life...C'mere, ya!" he immediately tried to brighten up for her sake, motioning to her to sit lest she suffered from a mental breakdown. Mental breakdowns weren't good for her, atleast not at this stage of pregnancy."I wish I could believe that crapola, ya charmer! But, the truth is, I can see it in yer eyes. Ya love that mixin console more than ya love me...An' I know yer missin er right now. Missing all o' them. " she whispered, seeing that fire still burning in his eyes as she gazed into her husband's beautiful amber eyes and squeezed his hand assuringly.
"I should do somethin bout this. Lemme try talkin to er, love. I'll go down there, right now, in fact...! I know I'm in no position to drive, but I can take the tube to the hospital an' fight..." she began to suggest, getting all riled up once more. "Take it easy, my fighter! Blimey! My rebellious spirit's startin to rub off on ya, eh? Have a seat an' relax. It's not good for the baby...all that tension." he teased, letting her down gently. "I just wish I could do somethin for ya, ya know?" she wished, helplessly. "Ya already are. Yer givin me the best gift in the world, love." he reminded, lovingly resting his hand upon the baby bump as he spoke. "Ya done with that?" she asked, her burdened mind still searching for a solution to his problems. "Don't worry, I'll..." he offered as she reached out for the empty mug. "Dontcha dare! Ya know I can't stay idle for too long." she shot back, swatting his arm away and handing him a napkin to wipe away that chocolatey moustache from his upper lip.
"Oh...my...!" she cried out in pain as soon as she stood up. The cup didn't make it to the sink as it dropped from her trembling hand and crashed to the floor. "What's wrong, love?" he exclaimed, startled on seeing her reaction. "Call an ambulance. I think my water just broke!" she revealed.