Chapter 33: Sea of Dreams

I sat on the steps in front of the house while Amber played in the dirt. A week had gone by. A long, quiet week. Long story short, Sunny hadn't shown her face since she floated in the air and chased me. Amber gave up on ever getting crushed bones anytime soon, so she roamed around without it. I have to say, she took this matter really well. She didn't seem afraid.

"Lost girl," Shayla shouted as she pulled onto the grass near the house with her car. She got out and slammed her front door then walked up to me. "Here, take this," she held out her phone in front of me.

"What?" I asked while looking at the phone.

"Take a picture of the back of my hair please," she said while patting it. "Use the Crema filter on Instagram."

If I had said no, she and my father would have been mad. I didn't have time for them, so I did as I was told. I took a picture of the back of her hair with the flash on. After I was done, she snatched the phone, looked at the picture then smiled and took off inside. I sighed, ready to go in myself.

"Amber, I'm ready to go in," I said while getting up.

She stared at the dirt, poking out her bottom lip. "I miss Sunny."

Ignoring her, I opened the door and pointed inside. "Come on, Amber. It's almost dinner time."

Amber stared me down for a minute then finally got up. She walked passed me, glaring at me as if it was my fault that Sunny left. It wasn't my fault that she left. However, if she was gone then I hope it was going to be for good.

...

During the lunch break at school, I wasn't in the mood for anyone. I sat against the apple tree and listened to Sid Wilson, wondering why his solo album wasn't as famous as it should have been. Being a member from Slipknot and all, I thought his album would be a hit. It wasn't and not many people gave it a chance. 

As I drifted into music about how the government sucked, Robert walked over and sat next to me. It was the first time I had seen him since the letter so I quickly took off the headphones. I had questions. A lot of them and I refused to hold back.

"So," I took a deep breath. "How did you get that letter from my mom?"

Robert leaned back on his hands and looked up at the blue sky like he was looking at something. I looked where he looked, expecting to see something. Thank God I didn't. He then looked at me and smiled, something I didn't think he would do.

"Robert, tell me!" I stood up, accidentally dropping the headphones.

People started to look at me, but I quickly looked away so I wouldn't feel too embarrassed. Robert wore a T-shirt in this cold, chilly weather. He patted the ground, indicating that I should sit back down. I sat by him, not caring that our knees sort of touched as we both sat crossed legged.

"Do you like poetry?" He asked.

Frustrated, I had to bite my tongue. "Robert, my mother-"

"Please listen to me. Please, Olivia," he pleaded with me.

I saw the seriousness in his eyes. I didn't push it, thinking he'd tell me sooner or later. With a sigh, I shrugged my shoulders. "Alright," I mumbled. "I like poetry."

He laughed while looking to his left and right. Again, it was like he was looking for someone. "There's this poetry book. It's called Sea of Dreams. You can find it in the library. Just ask Jakayla. Alright?"

"Okay but-"

"Olivia," he stood up then took my hand to help me up. "Read it, alright?"

His smile was weird. His face expression worried me. There was something wrong, but I didn't know what it was. "Okay, I'll read it."

"Now, okay?" he said.

"Okay, Robert," I said in a gentle voice. "Are you alright?"

Before he could answer me, he bit his lip and started running until I could no longer see him. Without wasting the few minutes I had, I went back inside of the school then to the library. I spotted Jakayla sitting by one of the library computers reading a book called Uncovering Beautiful Minds. To my surprise, the book was actually by her.

"That's your book," I said. I felt dum stating the obvious. 

"Yes it is," she grinned at me. "A book for those who don't think they can change. I thought it belonged in the library here. Potential. Some kids don't think they have it," she waved the book at me. "But I believe everyone does, somewhere deep inside."

I sat next to her in a chair, taking the book as she handed it to me. Potential. What was mine? 

"Something the matter?" She lowered her eyebrows and stared into my eyes.

"No," I quickly stated. "I was just wondering if you had a book here called Sea of Dreams?"

Her head jolted back.

"What's wrong?" I said a bit too fast.

"Oh, nothing dear. Didn't mean to startle you," she stood up. "It's just, no one reads that book. It's a very good poetry book. I've only seen one kid read it and that was years ago. Follow me." 

I followed her to the last bookshelf. She used a ladder to pull out a thin book with an ocean full of elephants on it. The bell rung. "Time to get back to class," Jakayla said. "Let's check this out real quick."