46 | KISS ME, KILL ME

SONG SUGGESTION: Woman by Harry Styles (*dreamily sighs*)

The wave, much to Greyson's relief, had set off other pods further up the street. As they passed by buildings splattered in black paint, she could just see the tiny, glimmering bodies of tracker jackers stuck in the sludge. Another block ahead, an entire building was collapsed in on itself.

Katniss sprinted across the street, holding up her hand to make them all pause, their breathing louder than the soft wind blowing through the block. When it was deemed safe, Katniss motioned everyone forward. They kept moving forward until the fifth block, when it was clear that the wave had come to an end. The gel was now only an inch deep, meaning that their brief safety was over and the pods were a danger to them again.

The bright afternoon sky was fading over the tops of the pastel buildings, meaning that night was soon to be upon them, and they needed shelter. Katniss led them to an apartment that Homes help break into after picking the lock. Everyone filed in, the lights on their guns strobing up the walls with white light.

Greyson stood by Johanna and Finnick as Gale checked the windows before removing his mask. "It's all right. You can smell it, but it's not too strong," he said.

She took off her mask, her face red and sweaty. Her hair stuck to the sides of her face and even though no danger was present at the time, she fingers itched at the small handgun that sat snug in her belt. She noticed that Jackson still had her gun pointed at an unconscious and handcuffed Peeta, his shadowed face slack with emotion. She bit the inside of her cheek.

Suddenly, the entire room shook with explosions, Greyson whipping her head around to find the location of the noise, Finnick's hand clutching her's out of shock. She looked around the room for an answer, but nobody truly knew where it came from, that was, until Jackson opened her mouth, "It wasn't close," she told them. "A good four or five blocks away."

"Where we left Boggs," Leeg 1 said in a sad voice.

Just in case the explosions didn't scare her, the television started flaring, casting a blue light onto everyone's face as a sharp beeping filled her ears. Her hand holding her bow clenched around it tightly.

"It's all right!" called Cressida. "It's just an emergency broadcast. Every Capitol television is automatically
activated for it."

Watching the television, a video of them all scattered and running around trying to assess what had happened after Boggs' legs were blown to bits. Greyson saw herself running over to Finnick, then Katniss hovering over Boggs, and Peeta flinging Mitchell backwards towards the black tsunami. It appeared small on the screen, but it was so different experiencing it in real life. People from the Capitol didn't understand what it was like to be face to face with a deathly situation, they didn't know what it was like to truly survive.