Fighting For Love!

“You’re an idiot.” Dimitri said from beside me as I walked down the deserted street to the olden style pub where it was anything but deserted.

         “I thought we were still in the not talking phase?” I knew he’d been following me from the castle after the interaction with Harry because he knew I couldn’t leave the initial attack alone, never mind the mention of my mother.

         “We were until you decided to be stupid and risk your life over some vendetta that will definitely get you killed.”

         I shrugged. “You knew this about me before we were ever together. I bested you when I was a human and I’ll best them now that I’m a vampire.”

         He pulled on my arm, grounding me to a halt straight in front of the pub where I’d been told Harry was waiting for me. “You’re not invincible, don’t you get that?”

         “I understand that.” He didn’t let go of me though.

         “Do you really?” He looked from me to the pub and back. “Because the way you’ve been acting, angering the other guards as if you’re looking for a fight, makes me think that you either think you’re invincible or you’re hoping that someone’s going to get the better of you and finish it.” He looked closely at me but I didn’t flinch under the scrutiny, even though it was so tempting to. “You’ve seriously got a death wish?”

         “Why do you sound confused Dimka?” I’d lost everyone I loved, including my relationship, so what did I have to lose in the end? For someone who believes there’s something more than this life – hey, all the fairytales were real and there were real angels hanging about – death wasn’t that much of a frightening concept.

         “How did this get all screwed up?” He rubbed the back of his neck in his signature frustrated look, which was as cute as ever. It was hard to blame him for anything when I truly didn’t believe he’d done anything to cause any of my family any harm. Damien on the other hand…

         “Look Dimka, just go back to the castle. I have to do this and it may be easier on you not to see the outcome because, either way, I can guarantee you it won’t be pretty.” I’ll either get arrested for the murder of a guard or die… Not good prospects.

         “Fine. If you want a quick death then go ahead,” he indicated to the pub entrance, “see if I care.”

         “Okay.” If he thought reverse psychology would work then he was fooling himself into thinking I was that gullible.

         The door opened just as I reached it and out stumbled a couple of drunken vampires in the middle of a shockingly poor brawl. I looked behind me to see Dimka but he was already gone, clearly he wasn’t bluffing about leaving. If I made it out of this at least alive then I was going to have to apologise to him eventually about what I’d said to him, I was hurt and angry but I shouldn’t have taken it out on him. It was sad that I’d needed George to tell me that on his dying breath to truly believe it. I wondered where he was now, on another plane perhaps? Wherever he was, he was with a harem of beautiful women.

         With that thought in mind, I walked forward with a smile on my face and entered the establishment that went immediately silent. I noted some familiar faces and cringed when I saw people that I’d beaten in the ring and openly mocked to the arena, they weren’t exactly hard to spot because they were the vampires glaring at me with murder in their eyes. Maybe Dimka had been right and through my anger had secretly wanted a death wish. Can’t turn back time now though.

         “I’m looking for Harry.” I said simply and looked around until I spotted him in a dark corner of the room, surrounded by a group of hard looking men, a tavern wench on his knee and a smirk on his face.