18: Where is Home?

After breakfast, the two sat on the couch in the living room. Mabel rested her head on Bill's lap as he stroked his fingers through her hair.

Then, Bill spoke. "Mabel,"

"Mhm?" She mumbled.

He sighed. "I'm sorry for making you come here."

Mabel's eyes widened. "What do you mean?"

"I shouldn't have forced you to come." Bill frowned. "I was a real jerk."

"But I made that deal with you." Mabel reminded. "And your bad self took that as an advantage."

"That's true." Bill nodded.

Mabel waited for his next response.

"What I'm trying to say is," Bill hesitated, "do you want to go home?"

Mabel's ears perked up and she sat up, looking at him. "You're letting me go?"

"I can't make you stay here like you're a prisoner." Bill said.

"I mean," Mabel looked down, "I'd like to go back."

Bill nodded. "I thought so."

"But," Mabel looked back up at him, "I want you to come with me."

Bill's eyes widened and he looked down. "I can't."

"Why not?" Mabel pouted.

"Remember what happened last time?"

"Ford..."

"They won't let us be together, Mabel." Bill frowned. "They don't understand how I changed."

Mabel stayed silent, knowing he was right. If Mabel brought Bill back to the Shack, Ford would only kill him again. It'd be safer for Bill to stay here.

"The only thing I'm afraid of is," Bill sniffed, "what if I turn back evil without you?"

"What do you mean?" Mabel held his hand.

"Have you not noticed? When I first came with my evil self, I was...evil. But with you, I feel so happy and nice." Bill explained. "If you leave, I'll probably just go back to being evil."

Mabel frowned, looking down. "So what you're saying is, I either have to stay here forever or go back to Gravity Falls?"

"I'm not going to force you on a choice." Bill said. "I want to be with you, Mabel, but it's your life and you deserve to be happy."

Tears formed in Mabel's eyes. "I want to go home and see my family, but I don't want to lose you, Bill."

"Mabel," Bill held her as she wept, "I'll always be with you. But if you go, I can't guarantee what could happen..."

"I don't know what to do..."

"Take as much time as you need." Bill held her close. "I know it's a big decision."

Mabel wiped her tears with her hand and squeezed his hand. "Do you mind if I can be alone for a little bit?"

"I don't mind." Bill let her go. "I'll be in my room if you need me, okay?"

Mabel nodded at him, watching him leave the room.

She cried silently again and buried her face in her hands. What do I do?

~

Bill waited in his room for hours until finally he heard a knock at the door. He jumped out of his chair and rushed to the door and opened it.

Mabel stood there with her eyes looking down at the floor. "Bill,"

Bill immediately saw the sad look on her face. "Yes?"

Mabel sighed heavily. "I thought about it for a long time."

Bill nodded. "And that's fine. Do you need more time to think of it?"

"No," Mabel shook her head, "I've...made a choice."

Bill noticed the sad tone in her voice. He had already knew what her decision was.

Bill wrapped his arms around Mabel, hugging her close. Mabel began to sob into Bill's shirt as she wrapped her own arms around him, hugging him tight.

She managed to speak two powerful words through her crying, "I'm sorry..."