10. I want to

Asher pov

"The third grade?"
Baylor asks and I nod my head as I stare out at the dispersing road in front of me.

"We were in the same third grade class don't you remember."
I ask her and her puzzled face turns into shock as she realizes that we were in fact in the same class.

"Oh my god! You're the kid that stole my frogs!"
She yells and playfully slaps me in the arm and I laugh. I look over at her and see that her brown eyes are sparkling again for the first time since I've seen her. An overwhelming burst of happiness succumbs me and I can't tear my eyes off of her. Then I remember that I'm driving and hurriedly look back at the road.

Her beauty is glowing and it's hard for me to look away. I could stare at her for hours.

"I miss you so much."
My fragile voice is almost a whisper as I look over at her. Her once sparkling eyes turn to sadness and I instantly regret making that beautiful smile leave her face.

The rest of the ride is in silence as she stares outside the window as we pass the fresh green leaves growing on the trees around us.

A sense of rekindling oversets me and I'm not sure if it's the smell of the flowers blooming, or something a little closer...Something like Bay and Mia.

-

"Cam, can I talk to you for a moment?"
I ask him as everyone sits in his house bursting with conversation. I figured now would be a good time to talk without anyone noticing.

"Yea. What's up."

"Firstly I want to personally thank you for your service. It doesn't shock me that this is something you would do."
I smile at him and he chuckles lightly, absentmindedly almost, like he's doing it out of program not sincerity. He seems off, tired.

"Thank you, and secondly?"
He asks, but the way his eyes hold a shadow around them, the way double bags are resting tirelessly under his eyes, and how disheveled his hair is, all tells me now isn't the time to tell him about Bay.

"Secondly you should get some rest."

"Yea. Yea your probably right."
He mumbles as he rubs his rugged hands down his face and he turns and heads upstairs.

"Cam honey are you alright?"

"Yea I'm fine just going to get some rest. I'm not feeling well."

"I'll bring you up some Advil."
Leah calls and scurries off to the kitchen after watching Cameron worriedly. When I look back in the living room I notice Bay sitting there on the couch with Mia asleep in her arms.

They look like a mirage sitting there. As if When I get close enough to reach out to them then they will disappear and turn into something disastrous. Any other day I'd think I was dreaming. That there was no way I could sit here in my best friends house looking at my beautiful daughter and the love of my life.

"This is going to be really hard on her you know."
Bay finally speaks up as she runs her fingers through Mia's beautiful brown hair.

"It wouldn't have been hard if you would have just stayed instead of running away."
I spit back, anger overcoming me as I think about all that I've missed in Mias life and for the first time my anger is towards Bay.