Chapter 27 ~ Trusting God

The crash, the struggle, the emotional trauma. All of it had exhausted Wren so that he was ready to leave the hospital before he'd even arrived.

 Due to the gash on his head, he went through multiple tests and scans, and word came from the doctor that he had a mild concussion but no major injuries. Still, the decision was made to place him in a room to be monitored a while longer. 

At first, he resisted. He needed to find Leah and make certain she was truly okay. Then, he'd find Edward and Fiona and call Tony... His body didn't agree with his racing mind though, for as soon as the nurse left the room, sleep yanked him down.

He awoke to the feel of something gentle stroking his jawline, and without opening his eyes, he grasped the small hand touching him. "What are you doing?" he murmured.

"Wren! I - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. I was just--."

"Touching me?" He grinned, slyly, but winced when a cut on his lip was stretched. He opened his eyes to find Leah's face colored pink.

 "No! I was just...checking your pulse."

Wren huffed a small laugh. "You're okay?"

 "Yes. I've been dismissed from the hospital even." 

Wren studied her. Except for a few bruises and cuts, she did appear fine. "That's good. I think I'll be dismissed today too. What about Fiona?"

Leah's face clouded with worry. "Fiona was in surgery for her shoulder last night, and they are monitoring her in the ICU. She has a concussion, but they're waiting until she wakes to make a diagnosis."

"Poor girl. What about Edward?"

"He was dismissed right away. He stayed in the waiting room all night though. Last I checked he was asleep."

"Good. Praise the Lord."

Leah scoffed. "Why would you say that?"

"What?"

"Praise the Lord? I mean, the Lord could have kept this entire thing from happening, but He didn't."

 It was a true enough statement, Wren thought. And to an unbeliever, he wasn't sure he could explain his faith. "God sees and knows things that we don't. But He's always proven to be there for me. Even this... It was a terrible accident, but it could have been so much worse. I guess I just choose to trust Him, even when I don't understand what's happening."

Her brows narrowed. "Trust a God that allows people to go over a ravine?"

"God never promised life would be problem free. He actually warns us to be ready for tribulations and trials. But He did promise that when we suffer, He won't leave us nor forsake us, even to the end of the world."

"And you think He was with us in that wreck?"

"I know he was. He was the one who woke me up."

She went silent but there was strangeness to her silence that peeked Wren's interest. "I asked Him to wake you. I couldn't get anyone to answer me, so I-I called out to your God."

Wren half-smiled.

"I - I asked God to wake you up."

"Good thinking."

Her anger dissipated to a stunned awe. "I can't believe He heard me." She sat there for a while longer, deep in thought. Then, she shook herself, smiled a cute grin at him. "So, when are you going to let go of my hand."

"Um, right now." He released her and cleared his throat. "I didn't realize I, uh... Sorry." In an effort to distract himself, he pushed himself to his elbows and struggled to sit up. Every muscle in his body screamed their protest. When Leah touched his shoulder in an attempt to assist, he startled as electricity zapped between them. Their gazes locked. Then, she dropped her head and sat into her chair again.

A nurse entered the room. "Are you ready to be discharged?" She said cheerfully. 

"Ready," Wren said. 

He was careful not to look at Leah again through the entire process.

And here is the last of the previous chapter! Sorry it has taken me so long to do it. I actually have quite a bit written but decided it didn't fit as the end of this chapter. I spent the entire morning working on this. So, in good news, I have a big chunck of the next chapter done! Haha. Hopefully, it will be posted soon.

Hope everyone is well!