12. ONE CONDITION

Thankfully, Matt wasn't home when Dom and Annabelle walked into the apartment

Dom watched Annabelle carefully, trying to get a feel for what she was thinking, but he couldn't read her.

She led him to the spare bedroom and watched as he rifled through her bag, pulling everything out just in case she'd hidden something deeper. He found the baggie of drugs and also the bloody knife she'd used to cut herself.

"That's everything?" he asked her, scooping up the drugs and the knife. She nodded, looking at him in a way that he knew was honest.

He went to the bathroom down the hall and flushed the drugs and then to the kitchen, scrubbing the knife abrasively to make sure he got it clean.

Rejoining Annabelle in the bedroom, he sat beside her on the bed and reached for her hand. He was surprised when she gave it to him and he wrapped his fingers around it immediately.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, and he nodded.

"Me too," he told her, and she shook her head back at him.

"I don't know what happened. I just... my old dealer called me. She called me and asked where I'd been and I just... I couldn't help myself. I've been so stressed out with the show and worrying about whether or not the fans would like me, and then the whole thing with you and Nora... and I just... I'm so sorry, Dominic," she said, keeping her gaze trained on his eyes.

"I'm sorry too, Annabelle. I honestly still don't remember what happened the night of the party, and I promise that's not me trying to make an excuse or anything. I know it happened, even though I can't remember it and I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry that I've been a point of stress in your life when I should've been the one helping you through the stress," he told her, squeezing her hand. She leaned on him and he leaned his head on hers.

"I love you so much, but I don't think I'm ready to come home yet. I still haven't talked with Nora at all," she said, and he nodded.

"I love you too, and I'm ready to honor your decision. One condition, though," he said, and she cocked her head to the side in question. "We're telling Matt about the drugs so that he can keep an eye on you and help you if you need it," he said, and she thought about it for a moment and then nodded slowly.