25: Fanfic Adventures

The brakes on my new car are a bit touchy, and I jerk to a stop in front of Gabriel's house. I sit back against the seat. Kota's letter is folded up inside my pocket, a constant reminder of his suggestion. Could it work? It's not like Hollywood is known for producing normal relationships, but I've never heard of anyone dating this many people at once. My fingers glide over my face. A hazy image surfaces of Kota kissing my forehead this morning—but is it a memory or a dream?

My focus shifts to the house in front of me. My retinas immediately protest. A coat of obnoxiously orange paint coats the entire two-story house, and it reflects the afternoon light with almost blinding intensity. Through a blur of light, a person sprints toward my car. My door opens moments later and arms scoop me into a hug. Rather, they try to, but my seatbelt is still firmly in place.

"Trouble," Gabriel says in his lyrical voice, "how am I supposed to sweep you off your feet if you're stuck in your car?"

I make a big show of releasing the seatbelt. Gabriel snatches me up and hugs me tight. "It feels like ages since I've seen you," he murmurs.

"You were just at my house this morning!"

He chuckles. "Ages, I tell you!"

He grabs my hand and leads me into his house. When he pushes open the door, I brace myself for more of the atrocious orange color scheme. Instead, I find myself transported into a winter wonderland. Murals of snow-covered forests and pristine mountains cover the walls. Chains of elaborate paper snowflakes dangle from the ceiling, just out of reach. A modern glass table and simple chairs complete the room.

I step closer to the wall, noting the brushstrokes. Everything is painted with impeccable detail, from the happy eyes of a young deer to the pine needles falling from a tree after a gust of wind. "Did you paint all this, Gabriel?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Yeah, but I've been thinking about changing it. I know I can do better."

His frown tugs at my heart. How can he not see how amazing he is? He could make a ton of money selling his paintings if he wanted, and not just because of his name. I reach up and bop him on the nose. "Well I think it's perfect."

I pause as something about his painting strikes me. "You know, I think you're the only person so far whose Ghost Bird talents match your actual talents. I mean, Victor's decent at the piano, but he's no prodigy. Luke can't cook without killing someone. Sean's not a doctor. You can paint, Gabriel, and it's beautiful."

A sheen overtakes his crystal blue eyes. He glances down, and when his gaze meets mine again, it's gone. A smile plays at the corner of his mouth. "You're too nice, Sang. That's the same between you and the show, at least." His smile transforms into a wide grin. "I like real-life Sang better, though. She's got spunk."

Spunk? Memories of me jumping on Luke, pranking North (twice), and bantering with Sean and Owen come to mind. I can see how he got spunk.

"I like real-life Gabriel, too." The words come out before I can stop them, and I spend the next few seconds desperately hoping that Gabriel missed their implications. He freezes, but quickly diffuses the tension with a laugh.

"I guess it's a good thing we aren't actually in the Academy, then. I like sleeping in too much anyway."

He disappears into the kitchen and emerges moments later with two glasses of ice water. He passes one to me, and we both take a seat around the table. I set mine on a coaster with the Ghost Bird logo on it.

"I got the coasters as a fan gift," Gabriel explains. "Which brings me to why I invited you over here. I got a fan letter that involves a project I think you'll enjoy helping me with."