Sub vs. Omega

The title sounds like some official smack down or something. I assure you anyone is this category isn't exactly the fighting sort.

As of late, I've had a few questions on what's the difference between the two. It's a little confusing since I use the term interchangeably, and some characters get a little pissy when the "O" word is used. So hopefully this would help clarify.

A brief reminder how ranks work in the Demon Series. 

Rejected by pack can mean:

1. Kick out once they reached a certain age. Most pack it's the 16-18 range. (Bloodhound)

2. Given no responsibilities and deemed "worthless," but are allowed to stay (Northern Ridge)

But within that green section of an Omega, it can also be broken down to a little pyramid of it's own.

Sub or Omega?

So to answer what's the different between a sub and an omega, well it depends who you're talking too or about. Subs are omegas, but not every omega is a sub. 

Omegas that are trying to move up a rank would be insulted if you called them a sub. They don't want to be marked by a dominant. They want to contribute to the pack in other ways. 

The other two groups only hope to be "useful" to the pack is being taken by a mate. They want to be subs desperately (Unless you're Raven of course)

With that in mind, the last thing you want to do is call a higher up's mate an omega. It's a derogatory term that simply means "worthless." You do not want to call an Alpha's mate worthless. It will end with someone bleeding. So go for the less offensive term sub. All mated omega are call subs for this reason. It's out of respect for the dominant. 

Aden is an example of this. He went straight from being human to a mated sub. No one would refer to him as an omega, because that would be suggestion Titus's mate was worthless and Titus would promptly remind you of his rank (a.k.a. someone ends up bleeding). 

Is Aden a omega in technical rank and strength, yes. He would never make it as a Lower Rank. But being mated puts him in this grey area, also know as a sub. He is Titus's mate, so an extension of the dominant. What you do to Aden is consider the same as doing it to Titus. <---very bad idea

Same thing if the omega was the son of a high ranking werewolf, such as Darius with Raven. Call Raven an omega in front of his father and there will be problems. Raven is a extension of his father, since Darius didn't reject him, so insulting Raven is insulting Darius. 

So simply put, Raven, Jesse, and everyone else are omegas. That is their "technical rank" and they will always be omegas. But because their mates will most likely be high ranking werewolf, people will refer to them as subs. Basically, you don't want to piss off a sub who's potential mate could be your alpha. It won't end well for you. You'll be scrubbing toilets for the rest of your life.

So why are some omegas called "omegas" more so than others?

The higher up the "omega scale" a werewolf falls the more unlikely they will find a mate. So why not call them exactly what they are, which is a worthless omega. River and Liam are in this middle area. Their fur color symbolizes they're not quite mating material, but they're never qualify as Lower Ranks. 

They're taller and bigger than the other subs. This is seen as: well maybe they're more defiant, which is off putting to dominants looks for mates. (As we know with River, totally false. Liam not so much...)

Pack Life for Omegas

White werewolves will attract a high ranking mate. 100% of the time. They are a sure thing for securing a mating deal, and every alpha knows it. They are pack treasures and highly protected. Once they have a mating deal, the alpha will pretty much raise the boy how their dominant wants. 

This was seen when Bloodhound raised a sub for Midfield. The sub was educated, because in Midfield everyone gets to go. Everyone must know how to read and basic human protocol, so the sub was raised to fit into that mold. 

None-white omegas are not as lucky. Whether they get a mate is completely up to chance, so why should the pack put extra care into looking out for someone who may never score a mate. Answer: not happening.

In traditional packs, they rarely get to go to school such as with River. In Liam case, he was sent to school simply because the dominant campus was next door. His alpha could care less if Liam learns a things, just as long as he attracts a mate. These werewolves are treated true to their rank. They are abused verbally and even physically at times, as a reminder of where they stand in the pack. They're are told from a young age they're a lucky to be alive and have it pounded into their heads, they're only of any worth if they get a mate. Some packs will kill omegas at birth rather than waste food on them.

Northern Ridge will not send a member away no matter the rank. Arbor Heights, Liam's pack, kick omegas out once they turn 18. They're seen as no longer having the capability to find a mate, so the pack will not waste anymore resources on keeping them. These omegas become rogues and most end up being killed. 

This is never a problem for the white furred omegas. They are all usually engaged or promised to someone by at least 15 or 16. 

I think that's everything involving the basics of the omega/sub dynamic. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll expand this entry if needs be :)

Hope this helps anyone who was confused.