Please Be There Ch. 10

Chapter Ten

Christy and I walked into Mrs. Rose's class together. Keera was already sitting in her seat. When I looked at her, she just stiffly turned her head away. I sighed loudly, and took my seat in the front of the class.

Mrs. Rose sat at her desk like she always did. "Alright everyone," She said, "A new idea struck me yesterday. Everyone pull out a paper and a pen. Come on now."

I pulled out a pad of theme paper and my favorite pen that had my name written on it. I wore a small smile, because there was this little part of me that know what Mrs. Rose was going to say. "Now write down in one word how you would describe yourself," She continued. "No negativity. Just a flat out answer of the first thing that come to your mind. Go ahead."

We all scribbled down something that described us. I wrote down INTELLEGENT in big letters. Then I folded it in half. "Now what?" I asked.

"Glad you asked," Mrs. Rose smiled. "Everyone come get some tap, and we're going to tape our answers to the white board. Everyone's moving so slow today, come on!"

"Is the witch on some happy gas?" Joe asked, raising an eyebrow.

"She not a witch," I told him, "And she's trying to get to know us. Come on, I know where I'm putting mine!" I grabbed some tap, took Christy's arm, and tapped my paper to the end of the white board.

"Intelligent?" Joe snickered.

"Am I not?" I asked, "I get As in every class."

"Not this class," Joe reminded me.

"That's not true," I said, and then made sure the tap stayed on the wall.

"Alright everyone," Mrs. Rose said loudly, "Take a seat once you're finished."

I stood back, and stared at all of the papers on the white board. After a few moments of just staring, I took my seat. Christy and Joe followed my led. Soon everyone sat down too, and we all stared at the board. "Well, well, well," Mrs. Rose smiled, "We have a lot of adjectives here, don't we?"

We all looked at the board. It was hard to read the words, but we knew they were there. "Let's see here," Mrs. Rose mused, "In our room, people are, creative, fun, outstanding, funny, rebellious, hot- I wonder who that could be?"

"What can I say?" Joe shrugged, and laughed rang through the class. Mrs. Rose just gave him a warm smile, and continued to read the pieces of paper.

When she was finished, Margret asked, "Mrs. Rose, but what's the point of this?"

"Until I made you right it down," Mrs. Rose answered, "How many of you really thought about what you were like? I mean every time someone asked what you were like, this was one of the first things that came to your mind after you really thought about it. Go ahead, and someone raise your hand if this is you."

Everyone looked around the classroom. No one raised their hand. "Wow," She smiled, "I would have thought at least Mr. Joseph would have raised his hand." There were a few snickers.

"I still don't get the point," Margret shrugged.

"This is going to be a self-boosting lesson," Mrs. Rose announced.

"Like Joe needs a bigger head then he already has," Someone called out. There was more laughter. I shook my head, but laughed any way.

"Alright, alright," Mrs. Rose chuckled. "Let's stop picking on Mr. Joseph."

"Yeah," Joe chimed, and I laughed again.

"Alright, who wrote down creative?" Mrs. Rose asked.

Hesitantly, Peter raised his hand. Everyone looked at him with shock. "Now, did anyone know Peter here was creative?" Mrs. Rose continued. Once again, no one raised their hand. "Now we all know," Mrs. Rose smiled lightly. I could feel my cheeks turn a little pink. I started wondering why no one noticed that I gave her the idea.

Then of course I realized that only Mrs. Rose and I were in the car at the time, and no one else knew. I let out a small sigh, and smiled at her. The rest of the class continued with laughs, smiles, and things we didn't know about each other. When the bell rang, there were actually people groaning. "See you all tomorrow," Mrs. Rose called, and then she sat back behind her desk.

I grabbed my things, and walked out of the room with my friends. "You were right," Joe laughed, nudging his shoulder with mine, "She's not a witch!"

"You just have to get to know her," I shrugged.

"And you have?" Zach asked.

"Here and there," I smirked. Christy linked her arm with mine, and we walked to our next class. Keera walked a little in front of us. I waited for her to turn around and join us, but she didn't. She just kept her head held high, and her books close to her chest.

I bit my lip, and looked down at the ground. It was a feeling of rejection that filled my chest. My best friend rejected me, and the pain was almost like nothing I felt before. I tucked my dyed hair behind my ear, and wouldn't look at Christy or Joe when they talked to me.

The day continued on. I ate little and was ignored by Keera. My stomach continued to growl like no other. I felt this hunger inside of me that sometimes made me bend over in pain. So I was anxious to get out of school, but not too enthusiastic about going to work today. I didn't know if I'd be able to resist the smell of the food. Should I call in sick? Maybe I should have something to snack on before I left. Yeah, that was it.

So I went home, and had a small sandwich. Then I grabbed my bag, and jogged towards the Applebee's for my night shift. Sarah was chattering quickly with some of the customers.

I threw my bag behind the cash register, and pulled my apron around my waist. I grabbed my notepad, and pen. "Brownie," Sarah called, "Can you get that corner table? I'm a little busy."

I smiled, but rolled my eyes. I slowly drifted over to the corner table. I made sure each table was taken care of before I got to the last table. This wasn't even my table. It was Sarah's. Oh I'm so keeping her tip.

I stood in front of the couple in the corner booth. They both had their menus pressed to their faces. I looked down at my shoes. "Hello, my name is Brenda," I started, "And I'll be your server this evening."

The woman placed her menu down, and smiled up at me. She looked familiar, but I didn't really recognize her at first. Her brown hair was in curls on her shoulders, and her face was lit with makeup. She wore a cute dress, which told me she was on a date.

So then I looked over, and saw the man put his menu down. My eyes widened as I realized who the couple was. "Mrs. Rose," I sputtered, and she just smiled gently up at me.

"Hello Brenda," She murmured in a soft voice.

I stared at her with a slightly ajar mouth, and could only think of one thing. Thank God I didn't use my southern accent.

voooottteeeee

cooommmmeeennnttt

thanks:)