Chapter 11

Keegan's POV

"... Isn't that... My shirt?"

"Huh?! Then how did it end up in my locker?!"

We both froze, my face turning red as I looked down at the baggy material. How could I not have noticed? And why did he have to walk in just now? Christian watched me, his face slightly red as he moved closer.

I closed my eyes, waiting for the punch, the kick, the pain... But it never came. Instead, I felt something different. Soft lips on top of mine, moving slowly and sweetly. I opened my eyes. Christian Nelson, the most popular jock in the school, was currently making out with me in a gym locker room.

---

I walked home in a daze after that, not entirely sure what had happened afterword that got me down the sidewalk towards home. He'd kissed me. He kissed me. He kissed me. Why? My lips tingled, still warm and wet, my mind remembering the warmth of his breath, the softness of his lips despite the rough feeling of his calloused hands against my cheeks.

Shaking my head, I almost ran into the porch post, not realizing I was home. embarrassed, I walked in to the house, stopping when I smelled the delicious scent coming from the kitchen. Loud chatter echoed from the kitchen, and I walked in to see Mom and Josh having an argument of sorts. "Mom?"

"Keegan!" Mom smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling.

I smiled nervously. "What are you doing here?"

She shook her head. "Never mind that. How was your day? Did anything fun happen?"

I thought about Christian and blushed, causing her to raise an eyebrow. "Nothing much."

Mom gave a small sigh, and I noticed the bags under her eyes. "When was the last time you went to bed?"

Josh nodded from the table. "Yeah, Mom. You've finally got a break from work. Get some sleep instead of trying to hang out with us."

Mom frowned. "But-"

"Go. Or I'll personally call your boss and ask them to fire you." Josh pointed to the stairs, and Mom nodded slowly, trudging up the stairs like a scolded child. When she was gone, he sighed. "Not even home a minute before she's all, 'Joshua, honey! How are you? It's been forever! I finally have a break, so let's do something, okay?'"

Shaking our heads, we laughed, talked, ate dinner, and went to bed. The whole time, I managed to keep Christian out of my mind. That is, until I got into my room and became alone. Leaning against my door, I slid down to the floor, my finger pressing against my lips. Why did he do that? Why didn't he say anything after that? I thought for a moment, remembering what happened. Christian did say something... He apologized. But, for what? The kiss? What the kiss meant? Something that happened even before that?

With a groan, I forced myself to stand and wandered over to my bed before flopping on top of it. My mind was a muddled mess, nothing making sense. After a while, I fell asleep, replaying the kiss in my mind.

---

The next morning, I was still just as confused as I'd been the night before. I didn't feel as hot, but the tingling was still there. It had been... My first kiss. Embarrassed, I rushed downstairs after getting dressed, stopping when I reached the table where Mom and Josh were waiting. Mom smiled when she saw me, setting a plate of food in front of my seat. "Come, eat!"

"Mom, I don't usually-"

"Come. Eat. Now." She didn't drop the smile, but gained a strict tone to her voice.

"The bus-"

"I'll drive you. Come on."

Slinking over, I began to shovel food into my mouth. Unfortunately, Mom forced me to eat slower, happily chatting away while Josh and I glanced at each other nervously. Finally, Josh spoke up. "So, Mom, care to tell us why you're home? You said you wouldn't be home for another month."

Mom's smile slipped, and she sighed. "I was... Forced to take a break from work. For two months."

We all sat in silence until Mom scowled. "Well? Aren't you going to sat anything?"

Josh and I shared a look before he shook his head and I shrugged. "I think a break will do you some good. I mean, you work harder than anyone else."

She thought for a moment then sighed. "Alright... Come on, Keegan, I'll drive you to school."

Nodding, I stood and followed her to the car. We mainly drove in silence until Mom turned to me. "So?"

"So... What?"

"Have you gotten a boyfriend yet?"

I blushed, eyes widening. "Mom-"

"Well?"

Thinking of Christian, I shook my head. "No Mom, I have no love life for you to poke your head into."

She pursed her lips. "That's no fun. Joshua is straight, so you're the only one I have to talk about guys with. Plus, I can't tease you if you're single." She winked, and turned her attention back to the road.

I slid down in my seat, cheeks flaring red.

We arrived at the school and I rushed out of the car. Mom gave me a smile, and I moved to the other side of the car to give her a hug. "I'm glad you're home, Mom. I think it will be good for all of us for you to take a break."

Mom grinned, pulling out of the parking lot as I walked into the school. My eyes immediately began to search, looking for the patch of black hair that belonged to Christian. I didn't see him so far, and I assumed I might be in the clear, just as I ran into the person in question.

Christian and I stared at each other for a long time, and I figured he could see the blush spread across my cheeks. I began to say something just as Christian spoke. "Let's... Let's stop the lessons from now on."

That was all he said before he pushed past me, going to join a group of guys off to the side. I watched him go, a heavy, painful feeling in my chest.

A/N: I am so so so sorry for the long update wait!! I'll try to get the next chapter out sooner! Please forgive me, and thanks for bearing with me!