Chapter 19- How it Always Should Have Been

ON THE SIDE IS A COLLAGE OF POTENTIAL COVERS! COMMENT WHICH ONE YOU LIKE! OR SHOULD I KEEP MY CURRENT ONE?

Annabell's POV

            "That can't be true!" I exclaimed. That couldn't be true. Rogues having pure silver embedded into their claws? No way. That just shouldn't be possible, it can't be possible. That made rogues a million more times dangerous. They were already dangerous enough, especially the ones who had lost their mate and were thinking irrationally, but them with a deadly weapon on their hands. My worst fucking nightmare. "You must have made some mistake." I told the doctor, even though I knew that he didn't.

            "I reran the tests three times. I am certain that the wounds have pure silver in them." The doctor said shaking his head. He was just as scared as us. He knew what this could mean too.

            "Thank you." Nate told the doctor. "I need to have a word with Annabell alone now." The doctor bowed his head to Nate and then went back into the room where Mr. Drake was.

            I followed Nate up to his office, not saying anything. I knew that he was on edge now. He didn't like the news either. This could be catastrophic if more rogues got a hold of this pure silver. Obviously not all of the rogues we had just fought had the silver in the claws, otherwise more of us would have been injured.

            Nate closed the door behind us and sat down at his desk. We didn't say anything. We just stared at each other in silence. We didn't know what to say. This was just a big shock to us. I thought about the whole situation that we were in. Those rogues were definitely here for me.

            "Nate," I said breaking the silence.

            "Yeah?" He said, obviously still thinking about the situation.

            "Maybe- maybe if I left it would make things better." I stuttered. Nate opened his mouth to protest when I cut him off. "I don't want to put the pack in danger. Those rogues attacked under someone else's command. They want me dead. They were after me, not the rest of the pack. I'm putting everyone in danger by being here. Innocent people could die because of me. I couldn't live with myself if I put the whole pack in danger."

            In a flash Nate was by my side on the couch and picked me up onto his lap. He soothingly tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. He rubbed circles in my back, trying to comfort me.

            "Now you listen to me very carefully. Annabell." Nate said in a soft, but firm voice. "You will not go anywhere. You will stay right here with me and our pack. I will not lose you again. You leaving is not an option. I know that the pack will do anything to defend their rightful Luna. I know I will." Nate said looking into my eyes. Looking into his bright blue eyes felt right. These eyes were nothing like those cold blue ones that rejected me. These were full of life and happiness. When I first arrived at the pack house and when I saw him for the first time in years his eyes were dull, they looked lifeless. Now he looked happier and more alive than ever. He was maybe even looking at me with love now.

            I put my hand against his cheek and Delilah reveled in how Nate relaxed into my hand. I brushed my thumb across his cheek while I looked into his eyes. I gave him a little smile before I pressed my lips against his.