chapter 27

Time does go fast and your life just skip you. I never saw Sofia after that day at my mum's it's like she never existed only the painful far memory of her smile and that box she left behind was a proof of her existence.

How many stories end with a straight girl getting stupidly and irrevocably turned down by a lesbian before she get to propose?

That ring she threw at my feet was the life i dreamt of having with her and never got to live it. Two years went by and nothing really change, i am still as single as i've never been, throwing myself from one girl's bed to an other never make it pass a second date i was comparing everyone to her and no one could be her.

I still live in Dubai and i still have that anxiety every time i took a plane to go somewhere, deep down i always hoped she'd be there with her gorgeous smile and playful ways but it never happened.

At 30 years old something shifts in your brain and you don't see life the same way anymore if it all happened now i wouldn't care much about Sofia's family disowning her or any of that nonsense that kept me from being with the love of my life. I guess i missed out on my chance to have that kind of love that survive every possible catastrophic turn.

The only good change that i made is that am not as big of a drinker anymore.

It was an early may evening, hot and humid as usual in the land of sand and concrete, i was having dinner with some friends and few tables away from mine an other group of friends made it impossible for everyone else to not notice them with their loud laughs and giggles even harder not to look at them once everyone on that table stood up and started singing happy birthday, standing behind the big cake and the shimmery light of candles was the subject of my life regrets. Sofia.

I couldn't believe my eyes, i had to blink few times before i confirm that my vision was real, there she was in her short tight red dress and her dreamy hair falling on her shoulders like a restless waterfall. I stood up but i couldn't walk, i just stood up and looked at her making a wish as she blew the candles under the pressuring shouts of her friends... what did you wish for, what did you wish for?

She looked up and our eyes met, the crowed vanished, the loud screams, the smoke of thousand cigarettes and nargilehs around, the time stopped and everything ceased existing.

It took her a moment or two to realized who she was looking at and as she did she smiled and OH MY...

My dead heart is beating again... when two souls connect that connection never really go away.

I gave her and her friends some time to settle before i walk my way to her table.

V- happy birthday

S- thank you vicky

And she stood up to shake my hand, is it childish of me that i was hoping for the usual cheek smacking greeting of hers? Maybe.
I didnt know what to say after so i just wished her a nice evening and dragged myself to my table. how can someone who mean everything to you seem so stranger?

S- vicky... would you mind?

She was pointing at the exit so i guess she wanted me to walk outside with her, sure i said as i followed her. It felt like the "green mile" if you ever watched that movie, she was walking two steps ahead of me but seemed way two far and we walked quietly until the hostess to the restaurant opened the door for us to exit.

Outside, i didn't know what to do or what to say i just stood in front of her looking into her eyes with the silly dumb smiling for no apparent reason look on my face and she smiled back until she took a step forward and hugged me.

For the first time since she left me in Madrid my body didnt feel so tired, my eyes were easy to close and i was inhaling her smell like an addict who's having his first sniff after long time of abstinence and the words just flew out of my lips

V- I love you birthday girl.

She didn't say it back and for the obvious reasons i didn't expect her to, her grip just got tighter and i let her hold me for as long as she wanted to...

Once she let go of my devastated body i reached for my pocket and took out my cigarettes. I offered her one and she declined, she was never a smoker anyway.

S- do you remember the first birthday you joined me on?

V- How can i forget... first time your lips ever touched mine.

She didn't comment on that i guess it is inappropriate given the circumstances so i said

V- sorry that was wrong to say

And as i was about to lit my cigarette she took it away from my lips and looked into my eyes. I had nothing else to do but to dive in.

As my lips touched hers she got closer, it was a fast taste of heaven before she pulls her lips away from mine and hugged me again. Then a man voice from behind us said in a worried tone... Sofia.

She looked back and with her hand she reached for the man's hand as he stood between us she looked at me and i could see the tears gathering in her eyes.

S- Vicky this is John, my boyfriend.

Am i allowed to be crushed after all i put her through? Probably not. What is it about her birthday that always bring a man to her life?

V- hello, very nice to meet you Jhon.

J- you too, baby is everything okay?

S- emmm... yes, yes i'll be right back just give me a second.

He left and i looked hopelessly at her, i would kidnap her right on the spot if i could.

S- still have the same number?

V- same number, same place, same fe... nothing changed

S- i'll see you later then

She went inside after giving me that cheek smack i was childishly hoping for when i saw her.

I was still outside drinking my night away when my phone rang, almost instantly i came back to sober land and picked it up.

V- hello

S- where are you crazy girl?

V- anywhere you want me to be

S- your place..  if you make it in 20 minutes... see you.