[Revised/Edited] Episode 61: Climbing Ryuu no Yama

"The meeting of the two creates a sight to behold."

*Lei*

After the ceremony, Vita and Yuzuki led us to our first class of the day, homeroom. As soon as I'd entered the room, I started perspiring, so I made my way to the closest window. One could barely walk through the aisles without bumping into one of the desks on either side. Whose bright idea was it to make this into a classroom? It was barely big enough for our class, but we had to also share it with our upperclassmen from other countries. With a school as big as Nine Petal, one would've expected this to have been a storage room.

After carefully avoiding messing the desks up, I arrived at the window and pulled on the handle. The thing wouldn't even budge one bit.

"Let me try," Iah said, rolling up the sleeves of his black blazer. Reluctantly, I took a seat to let him pass through. He grabbed the handle, giving it his best shot at unlocking it, but the thing just let out an eerie creak.

"Slow down," Adela warned as she opened another window. "You're going to break it." As soon as she said that, a chunk of metal flew past her. "Do you even listen?"

Iah turned around and chuckled nervously. "Uh, you can fix that, right?"

She levitated the chunk that had flowned off toward herself. Closing her eyes, she heated up the metal slightly with green flames. Once it started to melt at the tip, she opened her eyes. Quickly moving it behind Iah, she reattached the broken piece with the remaining chunk on the window.

"Thanks for that," Iah said as he looked around the room. "Hey, weren't we to share this room with the other exchange students, no matter what year? I don't see many upperclassmen. I know for a fact that there's at least one other second-year student."

"Right, my cousin," Ayawamat said.

"And my brother isn't here yet," Vermeil said, sighing.

"The sophomores won't be coming," someone called out from the front of the class. It was Haroun. "Today it's only going to be for you first-years only. The only reason that Vita, Yuzuki, and I are here is to help show you around. If not then we would be sleeping in."

Vita laughed. "Tahoma still skipped out, though. Despite having served as a volunteer proctor at the exam."

Vermeil smiled at Haroun. "Thanks a lot for being here to help us, Haro."

He waved his hand. "No need to thank me. I'm happy to be of some help to you newcomers."

"So, it's first-year orientation day?" I asked, blinking. 'I hope it goes better than middle school's first-year orientation did...'

The young man tilted his head slightly. "Not exactly. It's only going to be for us foreigners."

"When will we go see where we'll be staying?" Ayawamat said. "And what happened to our stuff?"

"They are here," Vita said, holding up her hand. In her left-middle finger was a golden ring with a rainbow crystal in the center. "Once we head to the dorms, I'll give you your stuff back."

"Thanks a lot," An said, smiling.

Hal snickered. "Really? She's basically holding our stuff at ransom. That's why I place all of my stuff into my own hyper-ring. Uh, wait. Did you even bring anything?"

He laughed. "Actually, it was only my sword and this pair of clothes I have on. And some food for the trip, but I finished that already."

"Wow," I said, leaning on my desk. "How did you survive on your way to Wahkan then?"