Chapter 10

"Excuse me, could you repeat that?" James said not quite comprehending what the woman on the other end of the phone had said. 

"Mr. Novak wants to know if she could start on Monday instead of Wednesday." She paused for a moment before saying, "I can call back at another time if that would be better?" 

The second James opened his mouth he saw the elevator open and Elizabeth walking out of it. Her head was tilted to the floor before she looked up and saw him sitting behind her desk. For a moment he saw something close to fear behind her eyes, but it only showed for a second. 

"Yes, that would be better." He said hanging up the phone. 

She stopped in front of her own desk and looked at him. He crossed his arms and turned the chair towards her. "Mr. Novak wants to know if you could start on Monday." He said with an accusing tone. 

Elizabeth raised her brows and crossed her arms too. James stood up from the chair he was sitting on and leaned over the desk placing his hands on it. 

"Care to tell me, why Mr Novak would want to know that?" He said with a dark look on his face. 

"That would be between Mr. Novak and me." She said not averting her gaze form his, challenging him to say another word about it. 

He didn't say a thing as he shot her one last menacing look before storming into his office. It was then that the phone on her desk rung once more. 

"Mr. McGregor's office, This is Elizabeth Waverton speaking, how can I help you?" She said in a sugary sweet voice she only used when answering phone calls. 

"Liz we did it!" She immediately recognised the voice of her coworker Quint. "What?" She said confused. "We closed the Sanderson deal!" He nearly screamed. "You did?" She yelled back at him. "Quint you are the best!" 

Right after she got of the phone with Quint she knew that she would have to inform James of it. She sighed as she got up from her chair and walked over to his office door. She hesitated for a moment before gripping the handle firmly and opening the door. 

James only glanced up a second before looking back down again. "Quint closed the Sanderson deal." She said. 

"Good." He said not looking up at her. She nodded and turned around to leave. From the corner of her eye she could see the digital clock hanging on the wall next to and saw it flash 17:50. 

"So tell me." He said as he took of the glasses she had never seen before. "Was it the money? Or just the chance to suck another old mans dick?" He said as she whipped around. The second he looked her in the eye he could see the mistake he had made by saying that. 

"Excuse me?" She nearly growled out with her eyes blazing fire. "Oh come on, why else work for the enemy." He said knowing he couldn't just crawl out of it at this point. 

"Not that it is any of your concern, but it was your father that actually got me that job!" She said raising her voice. 

"My father was an idiot! Why else would he do such a thing?" He yelled back at her. 

"Your father was a better man and CEO then you'll ever be!" She yelled so menacingly that she surprised him by it. In the heat of the moment, she grabbed the glass of water that was standing on his desk and threw it in his face. 

"Don't worry, you'll never have to see me again." She said walking away and slamming the door behind her. 

"That is... That's something." Natalie said stunned. "Yeah I know." Elizabeth sighed on the other end of the phone. "I'm just glad this was my last day." 

"Well, I... I'll... I'll see you later I guess." Natalie said before hanging up the phone. 

It was around midnight when James entered his apartment, actually, he didn't know for sure what the time was, and he didn't care. 

He walked over to his couch and slid down onto it. He sighed as he just sat there staring at his hands. 

Why had he said that to her?

Why didn't he just keep his yap shut?

He knew that his first impression had been different from how he knew her now. He had come to realize that the stories of the amazing assistant were actually true. Deep down he realized that even though she had only been his assistant for a week, he was kind of, sad to see her go. 

Looking out at the city through the window he let his mind wander for a moment. When he saw the lights flash on in the apartment across the way. The woman he had come to know as the 'Redhead across the way' walked into her apartment and closed the door behind her. 

She put her hands on her face and pressed her back into the door. Slowly she let herself sink down to the floor as her body shook ever so slightly.