10. History

I glanced at the dark world behind me and followed him into the cabin

I glanced at the dark world behind me and followed him into the cabin. I was already out in the middle of nowhere with him, so being in the small cabin was the least of my worries.

"I'm still not sure why you're telling me all of this," I started, "I know you said it's because of Alexander's arrival, and I know he's like you and Andrea, but it doesn't make sense."

"I told you he's easily manipulated." Clark rolled his shoulders. "And it would be unfair for you to be thrown into the middle of something without knowing things."

I was about to answer, but I sucked in a breath as suddenly a few candles scattered across the room blazed to life and illuminated the room. They came to life too quickly for Clark to have lit them with a lighter or match. As they flickered, the stone against my chest felt warm again.

Another trick.

A small, brown sofa sat in one corner with a fireplace on the opposite wall. A loft hung above our heads, where I assumed at one point in time people slept. A red, intricate rug was sprawled across the ground beneath our feet. It appeared the cabin was still used, not some old relic only seen on field trips or by tourists from the outside.

"How often do you come here?" I paced the room. The cabin was still in top shape. "And the candles?"

He took a seat on the sofa and patted the seat beside him.

I wrapped my arms around myself and leaned back into the cushions.

"Every once in a while, because it brings back good memories." He smiled. "And the fire. Do you remember how I told you about what Andrea could do, with the hallucinations? Those like me, we each have certain affinities. Mine is for temperature manipulation, so fire and ice are just pieces of my arsenal."

With one arm still draped over my stomach, my other hand inched toward my neck and my fingers wrapped around the crystal. "Is that why this keeps getting warm?"

"Exactly, see you're catching on." He leaned back into the sofa and closed his eyes as he rested his head.He looked peaceful sitting there, and nothing like the killer he was trying to say he was.

I had so many questions, so I had to get them out before he got bored of me. "How does someone become like you?"

"I should have seen that question coming. You're either born like this or changed. If you're born like this, my kind like to call that pureblood. Those who are changed, a human to someone like me, they call it a second blood."

I blinked once and watched him. I murmured, "What are you? You still never answered me?"

He smiled. "I think I'll keep you guessing. Any ideas?"

I frowned. "No."

He chuckled. "I rather enjoy you trying to figure it out. Next question."

I sucked in a frustrated breath. "Okay, so let's say I believe you helped build this cabin..." I waved my hand. "Were you born here? That would have had to have been over two hundred years ago." I had put the question into the air, so I had to be prepared for the answer.