LEARNING TO LOVE A ROGUE. CH 2 continued

Start from the beginning

At that, his slackening his brute grip on her upper arm but not letting go completely, was unexpected and confusing. And if she didn’t know better, she would have mistaken the barely grazing movement of his fingers for a caress.

It couldn’t be.

Before she decided more on it, the periphery of her vision showed a club swooping down on her captor.

Sarah wouldn’t see even him hurt.

"Sto-!” Her wail to avert that attack rose only to be crushed by a mouth suddenly affixed over hers. She froze then and there.

The club smashed a hit against Maximus’s back. But the strike did nothing to faze him from the kiss that only increased in contact.

The fullness of the connection was shocking, electrifying.

The two school guards who have come to rescue Sarah had yet to spot Mike, the sandy haired boy, still recuperating from the punch he had suffered in his guts lying where he had been left a long way back. To their understanding, she had likely cried for help from Maximus’s assault on her.

When their first hit didn’t bring the desired result, one went on to deliver another, while the second tried physically prying the boy from her.

Maximus levered himself from the captivating taste of Sarah’s lips, seemingly yet unaware of everything else but her. Nothing in the least succeeded in diverting his intense gaze off her, not even long enough for him to convey his annoyance – if any at all – over the pesky needling of the two other.

But Sarah wasn’t as oblivious of their growing agitation with Maximus. Their clubs had to be hurting him!

Why wouldn’t he do as they wanted? She was certain they would stop too, once he freed her.

Just, let go.. As tender greens of her eyes tried to reason with the sparkling ambers of his, a third guard joined the fracas from behind her. Wrapping his arms about her tiny waist, he yanked hard.

The unexpected adjunct force had Maximus’s grip on her upper arm slip down to her wrist.

In protest of this tug of war, a whimper escaped Sarah.

The sound of her anguish affected Maximus as nothing had ever before.

If someone knew how to look, really look, he would have seen the shade of her pain reflecting in him.

Sarah dreadfully watched, for some reason his entire countenance turned for the worst with his anger raging.

Maximus’s condemning glower marked this third man alone for causing the girl hurt. His filthy arms still spanning her waist was another offense Maximus couldn’t set aside.

So adrenaline pumping, despite the two other guards holding him back, he managed to ram a debilitating kick in the man’s spleen, peeling him cleanly off Sarah.

As this third guy fell back, his head hit the wall behind and opened an ugly gash.

The fear that had as yet kept Sarah docile in caution, now goaded her to frantic proportion. She had to get free of this boy.

I have to!

She spun from the sight of the fallen man to pry the hand still keeping her left wrist imprisoned. She wrenched at it, she clawed, but Maximus’s grip was like an iron band. However hard she hit, however deep her nails raked, it wouldn’t give!

All through this struggle, Sarah had evaded looking into his eyes directly again. Afraid to see what she might find there in answer to her daring. Though his unrelenting hold had her helplessly wondering, what made for his perverse strength?

So when nothing worked and exhaustion was taking over, her gaze eventually travelled up to meet his.

All fight fled her at the enigmatic emotion gleaming there at its rawest form. It shook the base of her very being. Threatened to a level where for the first time she was aware of herself as a female vulnerable to the superior dominance of a harder, bigger male.

Then, in the line of unexpecteds, he dealt one more.

Sarah felt his hold on her wrist breaking. And this time, the brush of a caress was unmistakeable as he gave the freedom her innumerable thrashing and clawing were unable to win back.

Even the guards had proved ineffective against his unbending tenacity. And the suddenness with which he ceased all resistance sent the remaining two still grabbing him reeling back on their backsides.

Sarah was baffled. All this, just to have her meet his gaze once more?

She looked down at the wrist he freed, or so it might have seemed, but the threads from the heat of his touch braiding through her veins still kept her imprisoned as effectively as an invisible chain.

When her incredulous eyes roved back to him, a throng of people had begun to converge around them. Students and teachers, all wanted to rake juicy details as the security grappled to salvage their tattered pride leading now a cooperating – albeit, reluctant – Maximus.

He was permitting their every other push to move him only a step or two backwards at a time, refusing to lose sight of Sarah as long as he possibly could.

The single minded glint in his eyes was burning its way into her. Slithering down her quivering insides it coiled deep within the pit of her stomach creating a tension she was yet too innocent to comprehend.

But one thing was certain. They would meet again.

Sarah went weak to her bones.

It was plain on the hard-edged face, the tall arrogant bearing.

He would carve his way to her through the fires of hell if he had to. But see him, she would.

                                                                                     *****