Chapter 3

What did he just say?

"What?" Is the only thing I can say. Dylan is the nicest guy I ever met, he should have like, I don't know, hundreds of friends.

"I mean, I have you." He tries to light up the mood but it isn't working. I'm still confused.

"I had friends but.." He swallows and continues."But Alex made them embarrassed to be around me."

No she didn't. That bitch. My hatred towards her is even stronger now than before. I have never in my whole life thought about a person this way but what Alex did.. It's unbelievable. Dylan had right about her being a bitch and nothing more to it. I don't want to be around someone like that.

"Well I am your friend and I'm the only one you need" I smile big trying to cheer him up. One corner of his mouth is smiling and he lays down on the bed with a sigh.

"Because that's how awesome you are" he says and we both laugh before falling asleep. Making it through our first day as sophomores in college.

It's easier waking up early when you haven't been up all night but it is still hard as hell. I check my phone and the display shows two missed calls from my mom. Wow sooo popular. I decide not to call her back right away and wait until later when she has surely woken up.

My second day having classes isn't bad at all. Dylan and I share all our classes again except art so we sit next to each other talking most of the time, getting told to shut our mouths by the teachers.

"See you later" he says and waves at me before walking in the direction of the dorms. Fuck. I wanted that to be my last class too.

When I walk through the door she is sitting at the exact same spot as yesterday. This time I decide not to look at her. I don't want that bitch to think I am into her or something.

Our lunatic of a teacher starts talking and I disappear into my notebook, drawing everything that comes to mind.

"Wow that's really good" Alex says and sits down next to me.

The classroom is quiet and it seems like everyone has left without me noticing.

"What do you want?" I say without taking my eyes of the paper.

"Usually you just say thanks" my eyes move up to her and she smiles at me but I keep my unaffected look.

"I can't draw for shit but I would say that looks like a professional work"

She says and nods at my drawing.

"Why are you taking art then?" I say in a monotone voice as uninterested as possible.

"I don't know" she tilts her head like she is thinking. "I think it is sort of beautiful". The answer surprises me. I thought she would say like 'you don't have to do a lot of work' or something.

"What about you? I mean obviously you can draw but is there any other reason?"

I think about ignoring her question so she'll learn not to treat people like shit but decide not to.

"I don't know.. I guess I think it's sort of beautiful too"

We stare at each other for a while but then I remember I am supposed to hate her. She is a total bitch when her friends are around so why should I waste my time on her when they are not?

"I have to..." My phone rings cutting me of mid sentence. The display says 'mom' and I remember forgetting to call her back.

"I have to take this" I finally say, holding my phone, dangling it in the air. "So get the hell out" she breaks into a laugh and stares at me when she stops.

"Oh you're serious? Geeze grumpy, calm down" she smiles.

"Get the fuck out of here, will you?" I say raising my voice.

She stares at me uncomprehending.

"Don't be such a bitch, just leave"

Her eyes grows wider at first but then she looks at me with a cold stare.

"Well if that's how you want it" she smiles the fakest smile possible. "I can be mean too honey" she says turning her heel, leaving the classroom.

I answer before it goes to voice mail but I can't understand anything my mother is saying. I guess maybe it is because I'm not listening. Shit. Why did I piss her off? Dylan said specifically not to do that. God I am so stupid. I just started a war with Alex Prior - bitch queen of college.

"....so we decided to come to you this weekend" We are both quiet for a while and it takes time for my brain to comprehend.

"Sorry what? Here? Washington?"

"Yes, your dad and I want to visit you" I hear her smiling through the phone. "Plus, my best friend from college invited us to dinner" who? Does my mom have friends?

"She invited you to dinner... Across the world?" I say in a sceptic voice.

"US. You are coming too" I groan and roll my eyes.

"Mum" I complain and she chuckles.

"They have a daughter about your age, I think. Maybe you can finally get over that girlfriend of yours" my mum's mention of her catches me off guard. "Sorry I didn't mean it like that, take your time honey" she says after a long tense silence between us.

"I don't want to talk about it" I murmur.

I hang up, grab my car keys and drive to the coffee shop.

I have just bought my coffee when I turn around and bump into the curly haired brunette and spill coffee all over her white tank top.

"Oh my god! I'm so sorry!" I use my hand trying to swipe the stain off but it only gets worse.

"No it's okay, it will dry sooner or later" she flashes a big smile.

"You can stop touching my boobs now" she says and giggles.

"Oh" I say with an awkward smile.

"Sorry again"

"You are new here right?" she breaks the silence.

"Yeah..." I say and my eyes travel down to her, now see through, wet shirt. When I look up again she is has a smug smile on her face. I flush and look down.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to stare"

"You have to stop apologizing all the time"

"Sorry.." I say before I realize I am doing it again. We both break into laughter.

"I am having a party on friday and I think you should come" her perfect smile is showing once again.

"I don't know" I say, thinking about what my mother said about dinner at her friend's house. The girl, who's name I realize I still don't know looks at me with big puppy eyes.

"I don't even know your name"

"If I tell you, will you come?"

I think about it for a while.

"Can I bring a friend?" I don't want Dylan staying in on another friday night all alone.

"Sure" Smiling and putting her hand out she says

"I'm Emma" I grab it and smile.

"Harry"