Yes, A Crush

Marc's POV

When I came home Monday, my parents were home, which was a rare occasion. From what I caught of the argument, they were discussing whether or not to replace Jeremy's nanny. It was probably the irritation building up from Nate's teasing about knowing something that I don't that made me march into the room and yell, "Would you guys shut up already? Jeremy doesn't need a nanny, he's a smart kid."

They looked startled. My mom's blood red lips were parted slighted as her blue eyes stared at me as if I had grown another head while my dad's mouth twisted into a small smirk.

He said victoriously, "Well, I guess that's settled."

"Settled?" my mom turned back to glaring at him, "He's just ten, who knows what he'll do in the house alone."

I rolled my eyes, "He's not ten, he's eleven and I do come home every day so it's not like he's in the house alone for hours and with Troy coming over so often, he's not even in a different room alone."

"Troy?" My dad's dark brown, almost black eyebrow lifted up. My dad was something of what you would call a Grecian stallion. His hair was borderline black and his features were chiseled and sharp. His skin was tan, tanner than mine, while his lips were usually curved humorously, like there was always a joke that no one else got. Visually, my parents were well-matched with my mom's long, wavy brown hair and elegant features but personality-wise, you had to wonder why the hell they got married.

I nodded, trying to fight down the sudden blush coming to my cheek, "He's my friend from school. He likes kids so we let Jeremy hang out with us whenever he comes over."

Mom glowered, "You let people come over while we're not here?"

"Does it matter?" My dad asked impatiently, "Of course the kid is going to bring friends here. It's not like we're home enough to tell him not to." That was him. He knew for a fact that he wasn't a fatherly guy so he made allowances for just about anything we did on the basis of, he didn't really have a right to tell us not to. I couldn't really blame him for not being the 'dad' type. He was way too young to have kids when they did. They both were. They were nineteen when I was born and had no clue what they were doing so my grandparents took care of me. However, my mom liked to act like she knew what she was doing. She was stuck under the impression that she was like every other mother even when she was gone more often than my dad. 

They glared at each other. "I would like to know who comes in my house and when. I'd rather not have some kid I don't know waltzing into my house as if he owns it and influencing my sons."

And that's when the doorbell chose to ring.

I glanced hesitantly at my parents before going to open the door. The minute I unlocked the door, in bounced Troy, talking animatedly.

"Hey, Marc, where's the pint-man? I was online and found some cheat codes on Halo, oh and did you know that Dark Souls II is out? Of course you didn't, you don't play video games, where's Lil Jay?" He looked around and found my parents instead, "Oh, hey, Mr. and Mrs. Andreas, I assume? I'm Troy Delroe, it's nice to meet you." Troy held a hand out to my mom but she glared at it coldly. He moved right on along the moment he realized that she wouldn't shake it as if it was only to be expected. Thankfully, my dad shook his hand and returned the sentiment with a smile. I appreciated Troy's polite demeanor but I should have known that it was too good to be true. The moment he released my dad's hand, he turned around and started yelling, "Mouse trap, where are you? Don't make me find you. I'm a god at hide-and-seek."

Sure enough, Jeremy came slinking down the stairs dejectedly. He said in a tiny voice that I hadn't heard in a while, "Hey, Troy."

"Did you just call me Troy?" asked Troy mischievously, "I believe that's against the contract."