Ember; Traiterous

"Ember." She cried out, nearly collapsing in exhaustion. Suddenly, Ember was at her side, his hands in the small of her back, gently pushing her back on her feet.

"Aerie, we have to get going."

"I'm not moving until you explain. Everything." She shook her head wildly, nearly falling over in the process.

"Our mission. Do you remember what it was?" He narrowed his eyes warily, deciding whether or not to trust her.

"To research the disappearances." She responded, blinking confusedly. She wondering what any of it had to do with the trade-off she had just witnessed. Her eyes widened, in shock as everything started to fall into place.

"They're trading...Faeries?" her question was met with silence.

"Essentially... Yes..." Ember trailed off, choosing his words wisely. "It's better if you weren't aware, Aerie." he said quietly, turning away from her.

"Ember!" her hand groped for his cloak, and yanked him back.

"Do you know what this is?" he whipped off his hood, turning to face her, his eyes blazing. He cocked his neck, at the nape was a small insignia: two intertwining vines, in a wreath around a silver moon.

"The Halcyon..." she whispered, quietly, backtracking quickly. "You... You're a rebel...?" She shook her head confusedly,

This couldn't be happening.

Just as suddenly as it appeared, the mark disappeared into his skin. The glowing crest died away, but her fear did not.

"Aerie..." he reached out for her, but she snapped backwards.

"Don't touch me."

"It's all lies. Aerie, listen to me. They're power-corrupted fools. Don't bend to their will." She just stared at him, as though he was a totally different person.

"Get away," she hissed. Tensing, she got ready to make a run for it. "A traitor. You're a traitor."

"No. I'm the hero." he chuckled a little, "Don't you see, the whole system is corrupt!"

"You're the corrupt one! Turning your back on your home to help those dirty rebels."

"Don't you ever think about the Clipping? Huh?" He shook his head wearily.

"It's an ancient ceremony," she began slowly.

"It's an ancient hoax," He said calmly.

"Really? And I guess the peace it brings is just imaginary," she snapped sarcastically.

"It is!" he cried out in exasperation.

"All Faeries have their wings taken away for equality. We retain our wings because we are the Guards. The citizens have no need for their Whispering." She stated firmly.

"Word for word from the Academy booklet. Congratulations, you have no thought for yourself." his sharp retort cut her deeply.

"Hear me out Aerie," he continued, "listen to yourself. Taking away their right is acceptable?"

"It's... for the sake of...--"

"--Peace? Do you really believe that? You saw Kaolin!"

"Kaolin has accepted it now," She winced slightly as she said it, that was below the belt, bringing that up.

"Has he now? Last time I saw him, he was pretty messed up," he replied angrily.

"He's fine," she snapped,

"No, he's not." he deadpanned.

"He was just disappointed."

"I understand that. He failed the Guard test. He was this close, and then what happened? Tell me Aerie."

"He was Clipped," she said in a stage whisper.

"He was Clipped," he repeated. "Now he's sitting somewhere, selling cheap 0ak bows."

"He's a civilian." she muttered, as if being a civilian justified things.

"He was the greatest Earth Whisperer out there. And now, he's nothing. He's exactly like everyone else."

"This isn't the time to be discussing moral obligations." Aerie snapped.

"Isn't it? You know everything now. Which side will you choose?"

"I don't have to choose. My loyalty belongs to the Haven." she responded stonily.

"You wanted to know everything?" he questioned. He took her hands in his and looked into her eyes.

"The Clipping is a sham. Our wings generate unbelievable power. They harness that power and trade it with the Walkers. Why do you think the Walkers flourished so fast over the years? We've been helping them."

"Why would we help Walkers?"

"To gain their trust. The Cores are tired of hiding."

~