Chapter 1

"What makes you so sure that's a baby?" Calum asked with a much more alive tone, considering he just woke up.

"Michael, pick it up," I nudged him with my elbow.

"No, you pick it up!" He said, putting emphasis on the 'you'.

And I, feeling guilty that it could be a baby and we're letting it lie down on the hard tile, immediately bent down to pick it up.

I brought it in and set it down on the couch. The two boys picked up their blankets from the floor and wrapped them around themselves.

After looking back and forth to Michael and Calum who looked like they were forcibly woken up (well I did forcibly woke them up), I unfolded the sheets.

It IS a baby.

"Told ya," I turned around to see Michael's face in awe.

"Is it a boy?" Calum asked.

"Well damn, it's wearing diapers, how are we supposed to know?" Michael said annoyingly to Cal.

"The baby isn't properly tucked in on the blanket. This could mean the baby hasn't been out there for too long and the person who left him—"

"Or her," Michael interrupted.

"The person who left him OR HER there could've not gotten far away yet. Maybe he OR SHE tried to tuck in the baby but when he OR SHE heard me, he OR SHE ran away. But I tried checking the hallway but there was no one there. I mean, someone rang the doorbell just a few seconds before I opened the door."

"But Reev, who would leave a baby on strangers' doorsteps?" Michael asked.

"Messed up people," I answered as I fold the blanket properly around the baby.

"Good thing he's asleep," Cal said. "Go call the Condominium management, Mike. We have to report this," he continued.

I turned around to face Calum. "You wanna hold him, Cal? I'll make breakfast."

He shook his head, looking horrified, he said, "No, you hold him, River, and I'll call for breakfast." And he walked away.

Well, that's convenient.

When the manager arrived, they asked us what happened. I told them about the doorbells and how I didn't see anyone in the hallway. Seeing that the issue should be dealt by professional people, the management called the police. When the police arrived, they asked us again what happened so I repeated what I told to the manager. Then the manager suggested that they should check the security cameras that were installed in the hallway so the police checked the tapes but the camera was pushed the other way around where our unit can't be seen at 3 am.

"3 am? That's around the time we all fell asleep," said Calum in a low tone.

"Have they been watching us?" Michael asked.

"Maybe. They wouldn't have been able to mess around the camera if they haven't," Cal answered.

"But how about the last ring of the doorbell? No one could run away that fast."

"Well, miss, if you would let us, we could check your doorbell system. They could have been tampered with and installed with wireless remote controls that the suspects could've used," the policeman said. Isn't the word 'suspect' too harsh?

"This is not my place, go ask them," I said, pointing at manager, Cal and Mike.

"If it's really needed, please do." The manager answered. He hadn't said anything in a while.

They checked around the wiring system of the doorbell, and just inside the doorbell box outside the door, a bug was installed to control the bell with a remote control just like the actual button would do.