Chapter 5: Freedom Day Part 4

If you want more, please vote and comment so I can hear your feedback!

Wisteriamoon, Julian, Aparri, Bepper, and Skorm trotted into Crystal Sands, their mission to celebrate Freedom Day.

Before they left, Wisteria had quickly stashed Fman's map in with the other stuff she was planning on bringing with to the crowded beach, just in case he decided to try and take it while they were away. 

The five friends had arrived there extra early to get spots in the madness that had taken over the sands, but it seemed like they were still too late to claim any ground.

"It doesn't look like we'll be getting a spot today unless we sound the evacuation alarm," Wisteria joked. Then eyed Skorm. "Don't get any ideas."

Skorm grinned. "We could always just sit up by the waterfall. It doesn't look too packed up there." Skorm was right. A majority of the people had chosen to be near the sand so they would have closer access to the water, but Wisteria didn't mind the extra hike down and back.

They finally chose a spot clouded in sun, and set their towels and bags down. They were sitting on a large stone, with their towels draped over, next to the rushing water.

It was nice to have some time to just relax, after all they had been through.

Something caught Wisteria's eye. She turned to face the other direction, so she was looking directly at the cave. Sun glinted off of a pair of eyes, but otherwise left the unknown figure in the darkness. She nudged her friends, who's conversations dialed down to nothing.

"Could it be him?" Wisteria said quietly, looking at the mysterious figure.

The five carefully walked over to the cave, where the wolf walked out.

"Lilacpetal?!" Wisteria shouted, surprised. The mood had gone from plummeting downward back to friendly.

The two embraced, followed by the other four. When they seperated, Wisteria had a question for Lilac.

"I thought you were busy looking for new species?"

"They let me off early tonight so  I could come celebrate. I mean, aren't we the reason the Freedom Party exists?" She laughed. 

"True that," Aparri said through a mouthful of chips and salsa. "Anyone down for swimming?"

~

Salty ocean waves slammed into Wisteria's body as she sprinted away from Aparri. The water surrounding her up to her neck made it hard for her to move, and Aparri, being taller was able to catch up to her quickly.

"You're it!" He shouted over the loudness of the waves on shore and chattering of animals.        

Wisteria sighed. "That makes fifty."

Lilacpetal spoke up over the chaos. "I think fireworks are about to start! Let's head back to shore." 

Wisteria was barely able to hear her, but was glad that she would no longer have to be "it" for the umpteenth time.

They made their way out of the water, sopping wet, and made the short hike upwards towards their towels.

The firework screeched through the air and exploded into a massive flower right above their heads.

"That was a little close, don't you think?" Lilac gasped, bewildered.

Wisteria laughed. "Haven't you seen fireworks before? They're all like this." Lilac grinned sheepishly.

Aparri then took it into his paws to tell Lilac about the events that took place that day.

Wisteriamoon tuned out most of their conversation, focusing on the fireworks, but was brought back when the sound of Lilac gasping filled her ears.

"They- you actually- met him?!"

"Saw him." Wisteria corrected. It wasn't her first time meeting Fman, and neither was it Aparri's. Plus the term Lilac had used made it sound as if it were a good thing.

"But- but still- you had to at least have talked to him right?"

"Well, yeah but-"

"Wisteria! You MET the biggest hacker in Jamaa!"

Wisteria sighed. She still wasn't sure what Lilac was getting at, and why it was such a big deal. "Lilac, why does this matter so much to you? It's not like he's your idol..." She glances back at Lilac's grinning face. "...Is he?"

Lilac's expression quickly morphed back into her normal one, as she stuttered our a sentence. "N-no, it's just that, Fman, he- I mean, we could stop him! We could-"

Wisteria sighed dramatically, in an effort to calm Lilac down. Her rambling  slowed to a mutter, and then not at all.  

Wisteria continued, "Lilac, we just got back from basically saving Jamaa. Give it a rest for a little bit?" Or for a... lotta bit.   

Lilac bit her lip in an effort to stay quiet. Her curious smile soon began to spread across her face once again as she nodded her agreement. "Okay. Tonight, we'll have fun. No more saving Jamaa."

Wisteriamoon wasn't sure how long Lilacpetal was willing to keep her word, but she didn't say anything else.

After looking up at the fireworks for a while, Wisteria began to grow bored. Sitting two towels to the left of her was Julian. Wisteria barely took notice as her paws made there way over to the black and white arctic Wolf.  

"Hey."

"Oh! Wisteria." Julian half-jumped, and then looked sheepishly away.

Wisteria managed a nervous laugh. "Sorry." Were things always this awkward between the two of them? She took a seat next to Julian, and the two sat in silence, watching the fireworks.

It was a comfortable silence, but also didn't feel right. Like conversation shouldn't feel so strained. Wisteria swallowed her words and decided that silence was alright for a little bit. At least for tonight.

It got her thinking, as to why they had grown farther apart. Maybe it was the kiss? Wisteria closed her eyes and let out a soundless sigh. That was foolish of her, of them. She decided not to become any closer to Julian, not again. She couldn't risk their friendship.  

That's what I said last time....        

It was about halfway through the firework show when Wisteria drifted off to sleep.

And it wasn't until two days later that she woke up,  far from Crystal Sands.