Chapter 34

Lilly smiled as she chased a tired Chloe through the inner city park. Vivian was speaking to an acquaintance as she would glimpse to her daughters every now and then to make sure Lilly could keep up. Chloe cackled until her little legs gave out and she tripped. Lilly smiled as she swung her up to make her happy again. Vivian's eyes squinted as she heard a car horn honk repeatedly. She did a double take as she saw the car headed straight for Lilly as she carried Chloe. Lilly turned her confused face in the direction of the honking. She froze in terror as the car was about to hit them. She held her breath as she turned away and held Chloe tight to protect her the best she could.

Vivian didn't hesitate as she pushed against her friend to get a running start. She didn't scream, she didn't think. She just breathed to save her children. Vivian charged to Lilly hitting her like a linebacker in a football game to get her and Chloe to safety.
Vivian closed her eyes right before the car hit her. She had no fear, it was a sense of peace; her children were safe.

Lilly landed on the ground and rolled so she wouldn't crush Chloe. She turned just as she saw the car hit her mother, her eyes screamed with terror as Vivian was flung up in the air and rolled over the hood and all the way to the back of the car. Lilly shoved the now screaming Chloe into her mothers friends arms and ran to Vivian. She was laying on her side with her eyes wide open, but her face almost had a slight comfortable smile. Lilly's hands hovered over her body as though she wanted to touch her but was afraid to do so. She frantically rocked back and forth as she tugged on her hair and cried. This pain was unbearable, "Oh God, please no. End this pain now. Wake up. Wake up... Wake up damn it!! This isn't real. Oh God, please don't let this be real!"

Lilly was in a daze as Allen slowly walked up to her. He knelt down in front of her, "Lilly?"

Lilly's eyes slowly closed as she came back to the real world. Her tears eased out as she opened them. Allen had the same reaction to Lilly  as she did her mother. He wanted to touch her, but as he saw her blood and grass stained clothes; it was almost seeing this made her sacred. He leaned his head forward and pressed it in her lap as he sobbed. Lilly pulled him to her and embrace him as tight as he could.

Marcus was standing over the table covered in a white sheet. He could she a silhouette under it. The mortician eased the sheet away from Vivian's beautiful face. Marcus released the breath that he was holding. As he stood there in disbelief, it was though he could actually picture a hole forming in his heart. Marcus stepped closer and stroked Vivian's hair. The palm of his hand slightly touched her forehead head. He closed his eyes as he felt how cold she already was. She was gone, not coming back. Ever! He screamed as he scooped up the top of her body and hugged her, he rocked back and forth as though he was trying to comfort a crying child. The family was broken.