Chapter 16

Megan's pov

I had no idea how long I sat there for, unmoving, unshielded from the wind, all I know is eventually the sun disappeared and the cloudless sky reflected back the moon and stars. I had given up. When I had arrived, there was something I was looking for, and only now do I know what that  was. I was looking for a reason to survive, a reason to continue this never ending fight, where eventually, knowingly, I would loose. I thought I had found that with Arran, but now everything was as it should be, and I was once again on my own.

I heard footsteps and waited knowing it could only be one of three people, and for a short moment, I wanted it to be my father. Arran stopped when he saw me, fear and hurt in his eyes. What was he hurt at? I mean his heart was still whole, what was he afraid of? I mean his parents only want the best for him, not his destruction. I didnt voice these questions allowed, but merely turned my head in the opposite direction and gazed out to the silent track.

"You just cant help but race can you?" He asked, trying to lighten the mood. I didnt respond, if I spoke I would cry, and if I cried he won. It may be a small satisfaction, but he wouldnt win. "Look Megan, I sohlud have come up with a more appropriate reply than 'cool' but I honestly didnt expect you to say what you did-" I cut him off, not even looking at him.

"Spare the excuses, you dont feel the same way, so just stop treating me like a child." I snapped.

"Megan-" He was cut off with the sight of headlights. He looked over and his eyes widened. "Megan get in the car. NOW!" I looked up and recognised my father in the back of the car. I ran and I knew on instinct that Arran was right behind me. I jumped into the passengers seat as he started the car, swinging the door shut and he raced in the opposite direction. Before we played capture the flag-it was about who was quicker top reach their goal, my father to me, or Hayden to my father. Now we played hide and go seek.

Hitting a U turn, we managed to loose them, but we knew we couldnt go home, that would be the first place they'd check. Instead we headed North, not sure where, not sure why but all we needed to know was that we had to distace ourself from the small town we had grown to love, if either of us wanted to see our eighteenth birthday.

Arran slowed his speed slightly. "Megan I love you." He said looking at me. "I have never questioned that, it just took me longer to say that it did for you." He explained.

I laughed and he looked at me hurt. "Took you until we almost died to say it, if thats not a cliche then I dont know what is." He relaxed and smiled.

"Yeah, well what can I say, Im a corny guy."

I reached over and kissed him on the lips. "I love you too, jerkface." 

"Could have left it all sweet and romantic you know, you didnt have to insult me." He complained.

"But where would all the fun be i that?" I asked batting my eyes.

"Hmm." He glared at me as we kept driving.

**

Eventually we pulled into a Motel and while Arran went to get us a room, I pulled the heavy object out of the wasteband of my shorts. The black metal flickered in the moonlight and I watched in awe as I pulled out the magazine to see there was a full set of bullets inside. There was no other option, I knew this, a weapon I once had for protection was now my ways of murder. If my father didnt back down...well, if I was going down that bastard was going with me.

I replaced it in my shorts and followed Arran inside. He had a key and was talking to the receptionist behind the desk when I entered and I watched as she batted her eyelashes at him and pressed herself closer to the counter.

I cleared my throat, walking towards them and kissing Arran possesively on the lips. I glared at the receptionist who was green with envy and smiled.

"Do you have our key babe?" I asked.

"Yeah, lets go."

We walked around the corner and stopped at the elevator as Arran pressed the button. When it opened and we were safely inside, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed me again.

"That was so hot when you got protective.Maybe I should do that  more often." He teased.

"Yeah yeah, now take me to our room, bitch."