The Girl and the Teapot - @angerbda

"The Girl and the Teapot" originally appeared in Tevun-Krus #28: Theological SF

Author's note from angerbdaFor me, Science Fiction is more than just pretty stories about strange futures, weird time wrap or amazing aliens. It is all about the warped nature of Mankind, the twisted mind of human, and their ability to destroy and to create.

Science fiction is a history lesson of sort, in a foreseeing way.

It is also all about hope...

Hope in a Greater Good...

Did you meet The Girl? The Girl is still a bit naïve, though she learns. On her adventures, she learns about Human nature and the greater picture. What about the almighty? Is there Hope in believing in the Greater Good? Is there Hope in following a pink cloud? What if all we believe was just a good laugh for others? In what Truth does Hope reside? Shall you follow the adventure of The Girl and The Teapot to find an answer? 

Note from Red_Harvey, who selected it: A story in which discoveries on Venus forces citizens of Earth to question their religious ideologies, which, to me, is an entirely probable scenario. 

The Girl and the Teapot

by angerbda

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."

Rene Descartes

*-*-*

"I have a meeting with Reverend Holyster," the girl told the receptionist.

Until recently, she just had to knock on his door in the Intelligence Department to see her boss. However, since his accession to the Hierarch office, the old man was now one of the forty-two leaders of the Revered Church.

She dreaded this meeting. Recently, all of her discussions with her superior had led her to complex and strenuous missions. Though she was a proud and efficient Intelligence officer, the spy life started to weight on her shoulders. She was at this stage where all her female friends had already settled with husband and kids...

Since her return to Earth after her last mission, the girl had been drowned in reports and meetings with her superiors and other departments of the Church of Her Holy Pinkness. The discovery of sentient life on Venus had cast unrest in the Faith, thus threatening the World stability and peace.

There was a conservative branch, in the heart of the IPU's Holy Home, that didn't acknowledge the Plant of Venus as part of the Great Invisible Creation, even if they showed signs of intelligence, communication and social organization. They were still plants, however, which was the basis for those extremists to reject their existence. They doomed these new Life forms to the Great Pile of Manure, where any and all followers of the Purple Oyster of Doom shall end their miserable lives. Or so said the ones considering themselves those self-appointed "true Believers".

The girls just thought of them as a crazy bunch creating more trouble than anything. She feared that the excitation and unrest built due to the discovery on Venus would lead to new Crusade like actions, as it happened in the twenty-second century.