Then out of nowhere it was like a light went off in my head.

They knew. They were keeping my mind off of everything else like my parents by acting like complete twats. That’s why they didn’t come after me when I took off after we arrived.

Those annoying scheming masterminds…

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts I pulled my key out of my pants with my free hand and shoved it in the lock.  Opening the door with my parents behind me I flipped the light switch and stopped dead in my tracks.

I felt my heart lurch and begin a mad gallop before anxiously switching the light back off and slamming the door shut before my parents caught a glimpse of what, or rather who was passed out on my bed.

Not that they would know him from Adam, but the thought of my dad seeing any guy passed out on my bed was something I could live without ever happening, let alone him seeing my professor passed out on it.

Shuddering at the thought I reigned in my thoughts and quickly turned around to confront my slightly confused parents.

“So ummm…I forgot it’s actually quite a mess in there right now,” I began awkwardly and rolling my eyes. “You know how Leslie can be and all,” I continued on letting them draw their own conclusions based on past experiences with Leslie.  I only felt slightly guilty for lying and using Leslie as a cover. Mostly I felt relief that Leslie was usually such a slob and that they wouldn’t question me on this.

Grabbing hold of my mom’s hand I started tugging her towards the lounge area. “Here, let’s go to the lounge. There’s way more room there anyways and it’ll be more comfortable,” I rushed out as I pulled my mom in the right direction and watched my dad pick up the cake from where it had been placed on the floor and follow behind.

“You know we would still like to see your room before we leave Christy,” my dad began causing me to have a mini heart attack as I racked my brain trying to figure out how to either get them to let it go for this visit or get Garrett the hell out of my room before they insisted on me allowing them in.

“I agree with your father dear. It would be nice to see where our daughter has been staying since we didn’t get to help you move in,” my mom added and I knew she was still slightly peeved that I had insisted on moving in on my own as my first act of independence.

Right about now I wanted to smack myself for that stupid act of independence.

If I had just allowed them to help me move in I wouldn’t be in this mess right now because they would have already seen my room.

“How about we just do cake and presents first and then you guys could maybe take a walk around campus while I straighten up a bit in there? Then I can call you back as soon as I’m done,” I threw out hoping beyond hope they would agree.

I watched as my dad furrowed his brows as though thinking it over then glance to my mom as if asking what she thought of this proposal.  After a short silent exchange my dad returned his gaze to me sighing slightly.

“I guess we could do that though we really were hoping to be home at a decent time since we have to work tomorrow and it’s already getting a bit late,” he stated briefly looking at his watch as though mentally calculating how much time would be allowable before continuing on, “as it is your birthday though we’ll do as you requested as long as you make it quick.”

Looking at me expectantly I did a quick mental fist pump that my spur of the moment plan had actually worked before nodding my head vigorously in agreement. “Sure thing dad,” I chirped all but vibrating in excitement and relief.