Chapter 5: The "House"

LIDA'S POV

      Don't get too carried away with a stranger's help.

       I know that voice. It's my mother's. I could recognize from miles away. She used to tell this every time she would leave me alone.

        Remember what can happen Lida... Remember wh...

         Her voice fades away and I find myself awake. But I don't find myself in my compartment at the boarding house. I find myself in a huge bedroom. I'm sitting on a big comfy bed that soothes the previous backaches I used to get from the stiff one in my old compartment.

        It seems like I'm in the richer side of the sector, even though I was in poor side yesterday. What happened?, I ask myself.

       Then I come up with a theory. I probably fell asleep in the back of the train yesterday and Drew had no space for me at his home so he brought me to Aubri's house. I've never been to Aubri's house before because she claims to hate it, but maybe Drew told her about my situation. Yes, that's probably it.

        Around me are expensive furniture and carpets. At the left corner there's a hallway. Probably to the bathroom...

      I grab the towel and robe that lay at the foot of the bed, and walk on over to the bathroom's door.

       I hear the shower on. Then I realize that there's another door at the end of the hallway. Oh!, I think. Probably Aubri's room, I knock loudly on the door.

"Hurry up Aubri!", I shout over the shower.

       I don't get a response, so maybe she didn't hear me. I take a seat on the elegantly ornated bench next to the "Powder Room". Even the bathroom has a fancy name. I can't believe Aubris's been living here. And she hates it?!?!, I think loudly in my brain.

      Then I hear the shower door open, and instead of Aubri coming out of the powder room with a towel on, I see Drew's wet hair and face.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting", he smirks.

      He walks on down to the door at the end of the hallway. I strongly hope he didn't see the red on my cheeks.

      My, he's fit!! I shake the thoughts and walk into the bathroom me and Drew will likely have to share for now.

DREW'S POV

      I hope she wasn't surprised. Man, I should've told her before I dragged her in here. Now she must think I'm a perverted rich boy. And why did I even act so casual around her as I walked out of the shower half my body showing?!?

      I smack my red face as I slip some clothes on. A white shirt and black jeans. I hate dressing like a rich boy. It would be so selfish to dress like that in front of the poor or normal part of the sector.

      Both Terra and Rudy still haven't seen her. Ugh... they're probably think I hooked up with her!

      I walk down stairs and get my breakfast ready. I prepare my usual, rasberry spread on grain bread with a cup of warm cinnamon tea.

     Suddenly Rudy comes storming down the stairs. He looks at me viscously and I'm afraid that he found out about Lida.

"You took it!", he exclaims at me.

"I don't have an idea of what you're talking about", I respond as I concentrate on the raspberry spread starting to spill over the crust of the bread.

"You took my music sheets!", he says snatching the bread from me.

"No Rudy, just shut up!", I say and glare at my bread in his hand.

"You used them for your violin evaluation!", he shouts, "just cuz you're not a musical genius like me doesn't mean you can steal MY MUSIC!!!"

"Whatever", I take back my piece of bread.

      Then, as Terra comes storming in, Lida comes on light steps down the stairs.

"I slept so well last night, I guess tea does help, huh Drew?", sings Terra.

     But my attention is not directed at her. She turns to what I am looking at. Lida has reached the bottom of the stairs and has an expression of disgust on her face.

"You're from the rich side?!?!", she says and looks at me, then Rudy, then at Terra.

"Who the heck is that, Drew?", I hear Rudy say.

"Umm... She'll be staying here from now on", I say .

LIDA'S POV

I'm staying here?, I think as I breathe in and out.

         *****AUTHOR'S NOTE*****

New characters! Rudy and Terra are Drew's cousins! Rudy is 14, a musical genius, and has black hair and gray eyes. Terra is 20 years old and has brown hair and green eyes.

Hope you guys enjoy! Thanks for all the reads! Keep you updated every week or so