❦ Chapter 1 ❦

"Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up." -James A. Baldwin

♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎

"Violet, you studied, right?" Mom asked as she placed my plate of breakfast. I sat down at the aisle counter and began eating. As I swallow my first bite, I looked at her with my eyebrow raised. Mom looked at me and sighed at my confusion.

"Not your math test, your Scope test," she said as she took a sip of her orange juice, "But, have you studied for that too?"

I chuckled and scratched the back of my head, "Yeah, of course I studied geometry!" Ahaha, no.

"Nice try," She said, "But now, do you know what to say for the first test?"

I nodded. Even though, I didn't want to know. But, it's the law. I cannot refuse to take the test, unless I want to end up dead. According to the law, every seventeen year old teenager has to go through the test. If not, or refused, then they will be shot dead.

"You got your bags packed?" Mom asked, making sure that I have everything off the list, for the fifth time. I nodded.

"Got extra money on you?" Yes.

"Your phone and its charger?" Obviously.

"Your passport, transcript, medical records, and resumé?" Indeed, I do.

"How about extra underwe-"

"Alright, Ma, I got it." I stated, cutting her off. She nodded, knowing that she was almost on the verge of going overboard. I sighed and hugged her.

"I'm gonna be fine, Mom. I promise. I'll even make sure that I call you on the first night there." I said. Mom squeezed me a little tighter, making sure that this hug counted.

"Give this family a good name, okay?" She said, "Be the perfect daughter of the family." I nodded, checking the time on my phone.

Knowing that it was probably time to get to school, I took off, bidding a last goodbye. Everything was in the trunk of my Range Rover, so that way I was prepared, and so I can save some gas money. I felt like I was on my way to college, so suddenly after high school. But, instead, it was the University to my Death Bed.

Be the perfect daughter of my family? Impossible.

I kept driving, regaining my focus on the road. I still can't believe that we basically have our lives, depending on a central horoscope, that created our future after that.

What if I never showed up at the Facility, where I will take my tests? They would probably track me down and shoot me. Or, they would leave me to live and fall into a delirious life, where I would be the lonely seashell in the sea of love. I groaned in disgust, I have no other choice but to go.

I pulled up into my usual spot at the school's parking lot, taking my belongings and putting my earbuds in. Head down, maybe no one will see you, my mind thought.

The moment I entered through the doubled doors, everyone couldn't pry their eyes off of the now-single-girl, Violet Grace, me. I fished through the crowds, finding my way to my locker.

"Hey, are you alright?" My friend, Melanie, asked, "Everyone knows about the big break up between you and Damien."

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm fine. I knew it wasn't working out anyway, so why bother?" I turned around and started exchanging books into my bag.

"So, the cheating part wasn't real?" Asked another one of my friends, Corinne.

Lightly but forcefully, I slammed my locker shut and turned to them, "We have the big Scope shit test anyway. Heaven knows we weren't gonna last! Can you drop the subject now?"

"I'd actually like to change the subject and say that the Scope test is not shitty!" Melanie spoke, "You get to find your true love. Don't you want that, Violet? It can get your mind off of Dick Damien."

I scoffed, "Please, no. I personally think that Scope test is just going to mess with your love life. Love is just a game that messes with people's minds! Have you seen how many suicides have occurred just because of a heartbreak? It's useless."

"No, it's not," Melanie says, "Everyone needs love in the world to survive," the first bell rang, signalling time to get to class, "Good luck on your Scope Test, Violet. Hope you can get out of the Facility in time."

Corinne followed Melanie, not leaving her sight of me. She waved to me goodbye before entering her first class. I, on the other hand, dread to see Mr. Baker and his deadly morning lectures.

♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎

"I'm really impressed by your improvement, Ms. Grace." Ms. J told me as she handed me my geometry test back, "I am amazed by your outstanding performance. Good job."

"Thank you," I said, then muttering, "It's not like I'm gonna remember any of this anyway."

"What was that?" Ms. J asked me. I looked at her, grimacing. Would she get mad if I asked for the truth?

"Why do we need to take tests?" I asked, "I don't really see the point."

She bent down to my level, her elbows lain on my desk, "Well, why do we have problems in the world? Why is everything not perfect? Ms. Grace, I don't think you see that we try to mend society to perfection, to satisfy everyone. Therefore, we make theories, and how do we know if these theories will cure our problems? We test them."

I nodded, thanking her for her answer.

"You should be on your way now, and prepare for the Scope test," Ms. J said, smiling, "I'm sure you'll be out in no time."

We bid our goodbyes before I headed out of the school. The stares still didn't stop, but that didn't stop me from ignoring them. I stepped into my car and drove off, heading to the center of LA, the facility.

The facility was big, and as said before, it was like a college, but temporary. The architecture was mainly white, with some added crystals in the layouts and hints of baby blue from place to place. There were people gathered at the front, waiting for their turn to start the test, and then receive their dorms.

I took a deep breathe, "You can do this, Violet. Who's going to stop you?"

Parking my car and turning it off, I stepped out and observed the many teens. It's time.