Sombi CHAPTER 3

3

            There it was. Tongue dangling, excessive drooling, teeth showing. What scared me the most was the look of hunger in its eyes. Just by looking at it I can say that I am in deep trouble. This thing looked like it hasn’t eaten in days and it’s ready to eat nine Joe Delos Santoses. This thing was ready to maul me any second and I could’ve been saved if I just didn’t drop my weapon in excitement… Luckily I wasn’t in any sort of trouble. But I think my food supply is done for.

            IT’s a HE. HE is a DOG. Aso in Filipino. This little Aso (read it like “asshole” with a lot of slang) scared the shit out of me. His tail starts to wag. At least it’s a sign that he’s happy to see me… Maybe it’s a sign that he’s excited to eat me.

            He is a majestic Siberian Husky. Black luscious coat with a white accent, he is majestic indeed… That is if you ignore the blood stains on his fur. His eyes are weird though, one is black while the other is pure red. Something weird about that but somehow I think that this little fella right here is not infected, because if he were infected, I’d be dead by now.

            Funny how there are only a few ways to see if someone is infected or not. The sombis have pale skin which is almost near white; their gums are almost a shade of yellow and their eyes are mostly white. Like they have cataracts or something. But now that I think about it, some sombis have red eyes. I wonder what makes those eyes different. They act the same. The ones with the red eyes aren’t more fierce or aggressive.

            As happy as I am to see another living thing (a living thing that doesn’t try to kill me), I can’t let this guy tag along. I’ve already thought of three reasons why I’m not letting him join me and since I’m trying to learn Filipino, I might as well do this in the best Filipino language I can manage:

            1. Mukhang siya [Mukha siyang or sadyang mali ba ito Jonas?] matakaw at matigas pakainin (He looks greedy and hard to feed).

            2. Mukhang bobo at mahirap na discipline (Looks stupid and hard to discipline)

            3. Balot sa dugo (Covered in blood)

            I don’t know if my Filipino sounds like an English to Filipino translation from Google Translate but it’s okay. Baby steps lead to grown-up leaps.

            I turn my back to him as if he were not there in the first place. I can’t have someone drag me down no matter how cute or how irresistibly stupid and helpless that someone is. I’m not selfish; I just care about myself too much.

            But as I treated my wounds, I heard this dog’s paws closing in on me slowly. It was a game of Dr. Quack Quack. I would turn around and each time I did, he got closer and closer. What annoys me most is that look on his face. The way he twists his head in confusion like most dogs do and the sound he makes which is similar to Scooby’s. It goes like “Aaaurgh?”

            It wasn’t long before he was only a couple of steps away from me. Still, I continued to ignore his advances.

            Since he was this close to me I thought he’d stop inching in. So I decided to stitch up my bullet wound. I learned this skill from my first crush. Her name was Amanda. We were playing outside when I fell down hard. I scraped my knee; it wasn’t a deep wound. It was a GASH. But Amanda did her best to aid me. She rushed to her home to grab some “boo-boo” kit. I expected band aids and rubbing alcohol but no. Hell no.

            “Halika, I’ll make tahi your sugat na! I love playing doctor kasi e”

            I forgot to mention that she was a Fil-Am. That explains the bond between us. Anyway, so this girl came out saying some things in Filipino which I did not understand but I knew damn well that I was going to be in a lot of pain.