Close Call

Dylan's jeans are ripped at the knees, with some major grass stains, but otherwise he's unharmed. I hug him as hard as I can. Under my breath, I say a thankful prayer, grateful he's escaped his brush with death. As he retrieves his sneaker, I help Donna to her feet. Although physically unharmed, she's an emotional wreck, babbling nonstop as if she's on heavy amphetamines. Against my better judgement, I start to feel sorry for her. Her hair's flying everywhere, her mascara's melted into a smeared raccoon mask...I've never seen her look so awful. All I can think of is a scarecrow that's been attacked by a flock of angry birds. I pick up her mashed sunglasses and carefully straighten the bent arm before handing them back to her.

"Thanks, Elizabeth." When she takes the glasses from me, I notice she flashes a real smile of gratitude at me instead of her usual smirk. Her attention turns to my boyfriend. "My God, Dylan. You both saved my life! I didn't see that truck coming until it almost hit me!"

Dylan's looking at her as if she's a cat he just saved from a tree. One that still might scratch him. "Donna, why did you run across the street without looking?"

Ignoring his question, she vigorously addresses me. "Elizabeth, I wanted to ask you about what you told me at the club." She laughs, wildly, before continuing, "I don't think it's going to happen. I feel like I've tricked death and avoided that accident you warned me about at the club. The one you said was going to kill me!"

She looks at me, earnestly hoping I'll confirm what she's saying, but I can tell Dylan's shocked. Now I wish I'd shared my premonition about Donna being killed with him. He must think I was being cruel, trying to frighten her. I'll sort it out with him later, but right now I don't want Donna believing I can see hers, or anyone else's future. "Listen, Donna. I shouldn't have said that you were going to die. I'm sorry, I was upset. I really don't know anyone's true future. I'm not a witch."

To my great irritation, I see she's not listening to anything I've said. I stead she's choosing to only believe what she wants to hear. "But this means I'm not going to die, right?" She starts crying, pitifully.

Dylan quickly changes the subject, trying to calm her down. "Donna, you've had a close call. Why don't you take it easy? Do you want to come and sit down?" He tries to take her arm, but she shrugs him off. "Don't you understand! Elizabeth's vision saved my life!"

Her wailing is getting out of hand. I grab her by the shoulders. Smiling, I try to get her attention. "Donna, Dylan and I are going over to the club, later. Why don't you come by, and we'll all grab something to eat. Then I can explain to you what happened." Hopefully, this will buy me some time until I figure out how to handle her. I just know she's going to spray the idea I can tell the future all over the school. That's the last thing I need.

I look at Dylan. "Is that all right?" He looks uncomfortable, but seems to understand we have to do some damage control.

"Sure, we'll see you later over at the club Donna." He uses a soothing, strong voice on her. It's effective because the school bully immediately calms down. She regains some of her old composure. Getting an invite from Dylan has set her on top of the world.

After Donna leaves, he angrily turns to me. "Elizabeth, what kind of game are you playing?"

Thank you for reading!👻