An Improper Game

Edited

Rosalie went down for dinner, her two half-sisters not present. Dinner was mainly dominated by the chatter of the men and Kate showing a stern maternal instinct that Rosalie hadn't witnessed with her daughters. Rosalie didn't have much to add to the conversation, she'd only been part of the family for less than a fortnight.

Rosalie couldn't help but laugh at James' story of an encounter with an elderly lady in Florence who had not let go of him, convincing him that she couldn't walk without support despite her being alone when she'd met him.Blake was mindful not to stare too long at Rosalie, her eyes lit up with laughter, the candlelight glimmering around her form. He could have sworn there was an outline of gold around her. He watched her throw her head back, her eyes watering in joy. He pulled his eyes away, to turn to his brother who was practically off his chair imitating the old lady, making a ridiculous face. Dinner ended and the family moved to the living room for a game of cards. James' idea of course. Kate whispered to Rosalie that she should make the most of it as it wasn't a respectable pass time for unmarried women and it wouldn't be allowed in London until she married. Sir Michael settled for one game besides his daughter, whispering helpful directions in French. 

Lady Kate indulged her nephews a few rounds before she yawned and departed.

" And then, there were three," James announced,

"Yet, I still think you might lose," Rosalie said,

 James grinned, "Would you rather Blake win, instead?"

Rosalie rolled her eyes, "I'm I excluded from winning because of my gender?"

Blake focused his eyes on Rosalie's upturned lips, involuntarily licking his own. James caught the sight and laughed,

"Maybe you'll win because of your gender and your...attributes" he joked, moving his hands in a circle to outline her.

"James, shut up please and let us play."

 Blake turned his head to Rosalie, 

"He likes to get into people's head since he has no skill."

James laughed again, slapping the table. "It seems like it's two against one."

Rosalie raised an eyebrow and distributed the cards for their game of Blackjack. Her fingers brushed against Blake's as he picked up his cards. A warm teasing tingle spread across both their hands. The game was intense, well as intense as possible with James' random exclamations,

"Well I say, this King definitely looks like Blake," he cried,

"Pay no notice to him," Blake grumbled, picking up 5 cards because of the BlackJack.

"He seems to know what he's doing," Rosalie replied, putting a pair down.

"HE is on his last card," James smiled cockily, putting down the card, Blake checked that there had been no cheat.

"Do you have anything to bring him back?" Blake leaned towards Rosalie, he noticed her pupils dilate. 

Rosalie coughed lightly under his deep gaze,"Nope, nothing."

Despite having picked up 5 extra cards, Blake also had nothing."Don't listen to him, he has no skill." James mimicked. Rosalie raised her eyebrows and looked at Blake, shaking her head, Blake shrugged his shoulders.

"I guess it's just me and you, then," Blake said, his voice causing a single butterfly to awaken and flit downwards in Rosalie's stomach. James pulled back, as much as he wanted to stay and cause some damage to Blake's ego and embarrass him, he quite liked his body intact and he knew Blake would find a suitable payback.